❁Poppies - Sleep and Death❁

AU: Superpower AU

CW: Allusions of Character death

WC: 1074

Date: 5/22/2021

Note: There will be a part 2 tomorrow.

Remy had always loved Poppies, their symbolism to sleep was ironic since he was a notable insomniac. Though, in the end, it looked like the poppies would win in forcing him to sleep. Their smell was strong as he lay in the poppy field. It covered up the scent of blood.

"Guess I should have listened to you, V."

His words fell on deaf ears, scooped up by the wind as it blew past him. There was only one other person here with him and they were not the type of person to care about his musings.

It had all started a few years ago. Remy and his younger brother Virgil both had abilities, and they did their best to keep a low profile. They rarely used their powers, especially not in front of other people, and they had both agreed that if anyone figured out that they had abilities they would immediately move. That had always been their rule, but rules were meant to be broken weren't they?

Virgil had found himself a little ball of sunshine that went by the name of Patton. He was sweet and kind, and the two of them together was disgustingly cute. Remy was happy to see his brother finally find someone he wanted to get closer to. He didn't want to get in the way of their relationship. That was why, when Virgil had a panic attack in front of Patton and literally disappeared, he had decided a conversation was better than just abandoning the city. He would never admit it out loud but he wanted his brother to be happy, and Patton did make Virgil happy.

The conversation went surprisingly well. He hadn't been able to find an ounce of deception in anything that Patton said. It seemed like he truly cared for Virgil, just as much as Virgil cared about him. So, Remy broke his one rule, and it was great.

Until it wasn't.

They were, apparently, not the only ones in the city who had powers. Unfortunately for them, one of those people decided to choose violence. Patton had been at the bank just doing normal business things when he got caught in the crossfire of a power-hungry gifted trying to make some quick cash. Thankfully he wasn't hurt, but Virgil had a mean protective streak and the moment he heard that Patton had almost gotten hurt, Remy knew where this would end.

Virgil started to fight crime. His anxious, always nervous, never wanting to be involved brother, started to fight crime. Remy wished he could have been surprised by the turn of events but it really was the only option with how close he and Patton had gotten. A week later Virgil had the 'villain' behind bars. That was also the night for their first big fight.

He liked to pretend that he didn't care about anything, that he was too cool to care, but Virgil got his protective streak somewhere, and it certainly wasn't from their parents. How was he supposed to react when his little brother came home with a deep cut along his arm, excitedly talking about how he had put a powerful person behind bars? Remy had exploded, forbidding him from going out to fight crime again. He knew better than that. Virgil didn't listen to anyone he didn't respect, and that was not the moment to give him orders.

"What the hell did you do?" He was broken from his reminiscing as heavy boots stomped towards him. "Where are we?"

A hero always invited more conflict. He smirked, the least he could do was take one person out of the equation. "I'm not sure what you are talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me. We were just in the city, and now we are in a field. Where are we?"

"I don't know, kind of picked somewhere random, hard to concentrate with a gaping wound." Remy already had his eyes closed to conserve energy. He was pressing as hard as he could on his side, but he had a feeling it wouldn't be enough.

"You are going to die!"

"Probs,"

"And you are just going to let it happen?"

"You tried to kill my brother, what'd you expect?"

"How was I supposed to know that flighty anxious little menace had a sibling?"

Remy made a non-committal, 'I don't know' sound, "Maybe next time be a better villain. Not that I think you'll have the chance."

Virgil had been doing good for the city for the past two years. Remy had watched him blossom into his personality. He and Patton were now engaged, and V had saved so many lives. Hopefully, with one less villain, he could save a bunch more.

"Take us back! You'll be able to get help! I don't want to die out here."

"Nah."

"What about your brother?"

"He has friends now. I don't need to babysit him." That was right, with Patton, Virgil had met Janus, Logan, Roman, Remus, and so many others. He would be okay. This would be rough on him, but he would be okay.

~~~~~~

Virgil had heard the report, Shadow Master had cornered a civilian, stabbed him through the side, and then they both went unconscious. He had told Remy not to get involved, but that dumbass never did as he was told. Things had been strained ever since Virgil started doing hero work but he knew Remy would always be there. He knew Remy cared. So why was Remy being wheeled into an ambulance?

"Please! I need to go with you, that's my brother." He said, pushing his way through, thankful he was in civilian clothes.

The EMT looked at Virgil with concern in her eyes but she nodded. "Hurry." She finished loading his brother's body in and he could feel himself pale.

"Get him to the nearest hospital and fast, he's lost a lot of blood."

What was he doing, going into the dreamscape when he was so weak.

"He's dropping."

"Remy, you can't do this to me." He whispered, reaching for his brother's hand. "Please."

Shadow Master was also unconscious, and Virgil was probably the only one who realized that anyone trapped in the dreamscape with his brother probably wouldn't wake up.

"Don't do this Remy, I can protect myself. Please, just, fight a little longer."

~~~~~~

Remy didn't want to fight with the villain anymore. It was easy to just tune out. He was so tired.