a sweet surprise

Jungkook takes a seat on the benches at the side of the field. He was drenched in sweat from head to toe, his hair sticking to the skin of his forehead in wet and messy curls. He pushes his hair back before grabbing a cold bottle of water then gulping it down in one go.

The last football practice before the competition tomorrow has finally ended. The team had been training even harder than before ever since the thing with Hyungsik happened just a few days ago. And even though Coach Kim had been an even greater pain in the ass because of that, Jungkook was relieved that the team's bond was stronger than ever and not one of them held a grudge against Hyungsik.

"Man, I'm beat." Yugyeom groans as he splayed out on the grass right in front of him.

All of the team was gathered around Jungkook. It was a usual sight to see for anyone who passed by the field. Every single time practice ends, the entire team would crowd around him as if waiting for him to make the last call before going home. Jungkook could be washing off mud from his boots and when he turns around, he would see his members loitering around behind him. Or if he was still on the field, none of them would dare to leave until he was done. It was almost adorable how loyal they were to their captain.

"And I'm hungry," Jaehyun, who was sitting beside Jungkook on the benches, sighs. "Can't wait to go home and eat."

The reminder made Jungkook's stomach ache a little. The chicken salad he had for early dinner clearly wasn't enough. He tilts his head back and closes his eyes, sighing. He was too tired after the intensive training and wouldn't have the energy to cook himself a meal back in the dorms. He wishes he could eat Chaeyoung's cooking right now but he quickly pushes the thought in the back of his mind just in case he loses control. He doesn't want to get into trouble with the coach again for breaking the rules. Meeting Chaeyoung could wait just another day, he thinks.

When he was done cooling down, Jungkook stood up from the bench and stretched his arms above him. Seeing him getting ready to leave, his teammates started moving too. However, when they turned around, they saw Coach Kim walking towards them with a pink tote bag with colourful flowers embroidered on it in his hand.

Seeing the team's confused expressions, their coach approached Jungkook and held out the bag towards him. He hesitantly takes it out of the older man's hand and takes a quick look inside the bag.

"What is this, Coach?" Jungkook asks, ignoring the nosy faces peeking from behind him.

"Sweet potatoes." Coach Kim rasps out, sighing, "Your girlfriend—can't remember her name—handed me this. Said it's a gift to the football team. You guys can have these for a snack tonight."

Sweet potatoes.

Your girlfriend.

My girlfriend?

Girlfriend.

Girlfriend.

Girlfri

Chaeyoung.

It was hard for Jungkook to hear or see anything else at that point. His coach had left and his teammates were cheering behind him. But the only thing he could hear was the sound of his heart beating wildly in his chest.

Chaeyoung. She remembered what he had texted her. She came all the way here just to give him this.

God, this girl. This fucking girl.

Gone is the tired, exhausted man he was a mere minute ago. Happiness clouds his expression, and he grins like a puppy.

Baby, what have you done to me?

"Hand over the goods man!" He hears Yugyeom shouting behind him, arm reaching towards the bag but Jungkook quickly slaps his hand away.

"Be patient," Jungkook growls.

"Meanie," Yugyeom pouts, dramatically rubbing on the patch of skin Jungkook had slapped.

Jungkook is normally not a very selfish man. He doesn't mind sharing and he's always generous towards his teammates.

But not this time.

This time he couldn't help but inspect every single aluminium foil wrapped sweet potato before handing it out to each of them. If he thought a sweet potato is bigger than the other, he would give the smaller one away until he could confirm he got the biggest piece himself. Chaeyoung had bought just enough for everyone to only have a piece each but with an extra one left. Obviously, he's getting the extra piece.

"Oooh, it's still pretty warm," Jaehyun says, as he carefully bites down on the sweet potato.

"Chaeyoung is an angel, I swear." Mingyu offers.

"You're so fucking lucky, Kook." He hears another teammate tell him.

Jungkook silently agrees to them all. Chaeyoung is indeed an angel and he is very lucky.

"Where did you find a girl like that?" Hyungsik asks.

A hush descended over the group, a curious expression clouding each of his team members' faces. It was clear everyone was wondering how Chaeyoung and him even got together in the first place. His first tweet about her had caused a commotion after all and no one ever found out how they met. As far as he knows, only Chaeyoung's friends and up until recently, Yugyeom knew.

There was no proper answer to explain their situation so Jungkook sought the next best thing to say.

"I don't know. I guess I really got lucky," He tells them.

Seeing their captain shyly smiling, the boys of the SNU football team laughed, the atmosphere around the group brightened. Jungkook was usually a confident man, some would even say he was cocky, but right now, he was nothing but a puddle of mush. Anyone could tell the guy was in love.

"Right on, brother!" He hears one of them say,

He chuckles. Everyone was howling in excitement.

Everyone except one.

And if Jungkook hadn't been so distracted trying to ward off Yugyeom's annoying cheering in his ear, he would notice that the one man that didn't look as happy to be there, a guilt evident on his face, was Jung Hoseok.