★ | 005. within the snow filled forest

Book: Killing Season, Twilight
Chapter 5: Within The Snow Filled Forest
Word Count: 1322

There was a feeling of utter joy in Damien as he sped through the forest, feeling the wind whip through his hair and the delicate snow landing on his ice cold cheeks

There was a feeling of utter joy in Damien as he sped through the forest, feeling the wind whip through his hair and the delicate snow landing on his ice cold cheeks. What made him even happier was when he glanced to the side and saw his mate running beside him, a look of determination on his face as they got closer to their pray.

The two vampires had left Forks a few days ago and had travelled a couple hours away to a large forest where it was snowing, knowing no people would be out in this kind of weather.

The deer was getting in sight and Damien held himself back, letting Edward be the one to tackle it to the ground and feed from it. A smirk filled his lips and he moved over, getting on his knees in the snow and digging his teeth into the other side of the deer's neck. He groaned in delight as the warmth slid down his throat.

As all the blood was drained from the deer, Damien pulled his head back up, having blood running down his chin and he stared into the eyes of Edward, blood was on his lips to but not as messy as Damien's. "You still hungry?"

Edward lifted his hand and wiped his lips, the blood disappearing. "No. I think that's enough for now." Damien nodded and stood up, tilting his head back as more snow fell onto his face. "You might want to clean yourself up before the blood gets on your clothes." Edward stated as he watched the blood slowly drip down Damien's chin towards his thick jacket.

Damien shrugged, "that doesn't bother me." He said and used a part of his jacket to wipe the blood from his lips and chin.

Edward turned his gaze away and began to move forward, leaving footprints in the snow. They were at the edge of a cliff and Edward continued walking until he could look over the edge. He sat down and let his legs hang over the edge.

Within seconds, Damien was right next to him, sitting closely where their arms were touching. He looked over the edge. It always made him fill with a feeling of power when he remembered he could jump from this height and be absolutely fine.

For once, Damien kept his mouth shut, just letting them sit in silence for a little bit. Edward had his usual brooding expression and was in deep thought about something.

"I just wanted to say thank you." Edward finally said and Damien glanced over at him. "For taking me away when I needed it... for helping me."

"I'm your mate, Edward." Damien said as if it were obvious. "I'm always here to help you. I'd do anything for you. You know that." He stared at the side of Edward's face. Why was Edward always so surprised when he did stuff for him?

Edward once again went silent, keeping his eyes off of him. A large sigh left his mouth and he looked down at his hands. "I'm sorry, Damien."

"What are you apologising for?"

"For not returning your feelings. We're mates, so I know how hard it is for you. That's what I'm sorry for. I wished you had found a mate who could feel for you the way you feel for them." Edward sad softly. He kept his mind away from Damien, not wanting to hear his thoughts at the moment. His words were hurtful but they needed to be said.

"Like I've said over and over again, I will wait for however long it takes because as much as you deny it, there is something between us. I'm not giving up on us." Damien dug his hands into the snow with a smile. "You're never getting rid of me." And just like that, he sounded like the Damien Edward knew.

"You just like hurting yourself, don't you?" Edward asked and frowned. After everything he's said and done, how could Damien still want to be with him? He really didn't understand the male no matter how many times he had read his thoughts.

"Come on. Cheer up, dove. We still have a few days of our romantic holiday left. Let's go exploring." He stood up and grabbed onto Edwards hand. "We could even build a snowman if you want." He teased and pulled Edward up from the ground. "Want to make a snow angel, angel?"

"You're hilarious." Edward said bluntly, letting himself be pulled through the snow. They passed the deer they had previously killed, it now being covered in snow and while Edward looked away with shame and guilt, Damien could care less, walking past the lifeless animal as if it were nothing.

The next few days were spent with more hunting and hardly any talking. The only proper conversation they had had was on the cliff side. Damien didn't let that little thing ruin his mood. Edward was just doing what he always did. He was just as stubborn as Damien was.

Damien was pretty annoyed that they had to go back home. He enjoyed the alone time he spent with Edward and being away from his judgey family had been nice. "Do we really have to go?" He whined, wrapping his arms around Edward from behind and pulling him into his chest. "Come on, just a couple more weeks... or years."

Edward rolled his eyes and grabbed onto Damian's arms, trying to remove them but having no luck. He gave up and put his arms back down, letting Damien have his enjoyment and hug him. "We can't stay out here forever. We have to go back to school."

"We've been to school a million times. I'm sure we can miss one year." Damien pouted. "Just think about it. No worries, no problems. Just you, me, the snow and keeping each other warm."

"We're vampires. We don't need to keep each other warm."

"Don't ran on my parade." Damien laughed. When his laughing stopped, he finally removed his arms and Edward took the opportunity to take a few steps away from him and turn around to face him.

"We should leave now if we want to be back before sunrise." Edward stated. He seemed so eager to get back. It was the thing that made Damien frown. Why did he want to get back so badly? Was it because of Bella? Edward looked at him with exasperation. "It's not because of her. I just want to go home." And that was the truth.

"Fine. If you want to go then we go." Damien sped over to him and stood inches away from his face. "But just so you know, whenever you want to leave again, I'm more then happy to steal you away."

"I don't think there will be anymore vacations anytime soon. So don't get your hopes up." Edward responded.

"A vampire can dream, can't he?" Damien stepped away from him. Edward's lips looked oh so inviting but Damien would never kiss him unless he was asked to. Their first kiss had yet to happen but Damien was willing to wait an eternity for it. It would be worth the wait he was sure.

If Edward could blush, he was sure he would be from those thoughts. He shook his head and without any more talk between them, they took off running through the woods, making their way back to Forks.

Even if Edward didn't think so, Damien felt that they had grown close from the trip. Or maybe that was just his wishful thinking.

★ ★ ★

Authors Note: I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Its been a while since I've updated this book and oh my god, I just want to get Damien and Edward together already. I have to have so much self control to keep writing Edward rejecting Damien.