★ | 016. we leave tonight

Book: Killing Season, Twilight
Chapter 16: We Leave Tonight
Word Count: 1140

Edward had been waiting outside Bella's house for her to get home from school

Edward had been waiting outside Bella's house for her to get home from school. He hadn't gone that day as he was to focus on other things. Such as figuring out where to start searching for Damien.

Once he saw Bella pull up in her truck, he stood still as he waited for her to approach him. "Hey." She said softly.

"Come and take a walk with me." He said back, nodding his head towards the woods.

She didn't hesitate in following him but she could sense something was wrong. She kept quiet, watching his back until they came to a stop about five minutes later.

"I have to leave Forks." As soon as he said it she looked at him with worry.

"Why?" She asked.

He could have come up with some lie to let her down easily but he felt she needed to know the truth so she could move on and let him go. "I need to find Damien."

"What?" She didn't think she heard him correctly.

"I'm sorry for what I have done to you. I lead you on and I should not have done that. I've hurt you and I've hurt him." He said in a low whisper.

"Edward... you can't be serious... I mean I thought... I thought you hated him."

"I never hated him. No matter how much I tried to say I did."

"But what about us? There is something between us. I can't be the only one feeling this." She said in a hurry. "Please, Edward. Don't chase after a guy who's not right for you. He's bad... he tried to get me killed!" She honestly couldn't believe what she was hearing. Edward had been so protective over her and now he was leaving her to be with him.

"He only tried to hurt you because of me. I was rejecting him... I was rejecting my mate. He was doing what he thought was best. That's all he's ever tried to do." A small smile found its way onto Edwards lips. "He's my mate. I am more then happy to admit that. He's perfect for me and I'm not going to make the mistake of pushing him away again."

Bella shook her head quickly. "At least let me come with you - "

"Bella, I don't want you to come." He said firmly. "This is the last time you'll ever see me. I won't come back. You can go on with your life without me. It'll be like I never existed I promise."

"You can't do this. Edward please. Don't do this. We belong together. This is what is right." She gestured between them.

A once fascination he had with her was no gone and all he could think about was Damien and finding him. "We don't belong together. You aren't my mate." He said, trying to get through to her. "I'm sorry I let this go on for so long."

"Please... don't."

"Goodbye." He said. She could barely look at him anymore but when she did look up he was gone from her sight, as if he were never even there in the first place.

★ ★ ★

Edward arrived home only moments later, feeling like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He was ready to leave as soon as possible. His whole family was coming with him because they couldn't stay in Forks if he was leaving.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do Edward?" Alice asked softly once she saw her adoptive brother.

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life." He said and the conviction in his voice made her nod her head. "You don't approve?" He questioned.

"I've never approved of Damien. I think we can all agree to that but of he is what you truly want then I am not going to be the one to stand in the way of that." She said softly. Not anymore. She did not like Damien and would prefer to never see him again but if this is what Edward wanted then this is what he wanted.

"Thank you." He paused slightly as he looked down at his feet. "You still haven't had any visions of him yet?"

There was a hope in his voice that Alice was saddened she had to crush. "I'm sorry Edward but no... it's as if he doesn't exist anymore."

"I don't need to be a mind reader to know what you're thinking." Jasper said as he came up to stand next to Alice. "He's not dead."

"I know." Edward said with a bit of fear in his eyes as he asked Alice one more question, "and what do you see when you look into my future?"

Edward stood alone, staring out into the opening with a frown on his face. If it were possible, he was even paler and he looked incredibly sick. His eyes were dull and there was no life in them. As if he no longer had anything to live for.

He looked down at the floor with one thought in his mind, he couldn't find Damien. He had tried everything but it was like Alice said, it was like he had never existed and Edward felt like he was going crazy.

Had they all imagined Damien? Had they never met the man in the first place?

But that was outlandish, Damien had to have existed. They could not have just made him up.

But then another thought entered his mind and it made him slump to the ground, now of his knees as he continued to stare at nothing.

Damien was dead and Edward would never find him because he was nothing but a pile of ashes.

Edward felt himself still as he saw into Alice's mind, into the vision she had had. He gulped and looked down at the floor, his face showing his fear.

"The future can always change. You will find him." Alice said, wishing her brother didn't have his mind reading abilities or she never would have told him what she saw.

"You can't give up on him." Jasper said.

Edward whipped his head back up. "I gave up on him once. I'm never going to do it again. We leave as soon as possible."

★ ★ ★

Authors Note: A long awaited chapter. Sorry it's so short but I wanted to get the last of Edward in there before we move back to Damien to see how he is doing. I bet you all can't wait for that to happen.

Don't forget to like, comment and follow.

The next chapter hopefully won't be to long away and since it's going to be about Damien, it should be a longer one since I have a lot of plans for what he's been doing.