chapter #27

Rens heart was beating faster than ever as she kept her head down and tried to keep walking in a straight line, however that proved most difficult with her lack of balance.

With the sirens blaring all across the sound system and doctors running in and out rooms frantically, it was obvious something was happening, the 3 teens just tried to hide the fact they were the cause of it.

As they were walking, Thomas and Newt were the first to notice the wicked guards coming in from both sides of the hallway, so with no other choice Thomas resorted in hiding in one of the empty labs until it was safe to walk again.

Ren however, was stuck in her own mind; a common thing the blonde did when she was focused or stressed out. So once Newt sat down on the floor of the lab and saw Ren still right outside the door frame, he snaked his arm around her waist and pulled her down with him. The sudden and unexpected contact on her waist made Ren let out a small shriek as she fell into Newt, to which Newt covered her mouth with his hands in a panic.

it took Ren a couple seconds for her to figure out what just happened as she snapped back into reality, and once she did the position she was in did not go unnoticed. She was sat with her head hovering over Newts lap, his one hand tightly gripping her waist and the other still clasped onto her mouth which she was grateful for, since she knew if his hand wasn't their to block her face the boys would had seen her hard core blushing.

Once the guards were finally out of sight, Ren got up and put her hand out for Newt to grab as he struggled to get back up, and they continued their walk.

A lot had happened in the past 2 minutes, and Ren's brain was like scrambled eggs. She knew Newt didn't feel the same way about her as she did him, but she couldn't help her mind but wonder if he was at least thinking about what just happened. However, Newt "just thinking about it" was a big understatement.

he was freaking out.

full panic.

alarms going off in his head.

His state of panic was clear in his eyes, but Thomas took it as a weird side effect of being infected, and Ren was too busy in her own world to realize his facial expressions. She just wanted to find Minho.

After what seemed like hopelessly walking in circles, Thomas saw a familiar platinum blonde in a white coat in the corner of his eye, and he couldn't help but stare curiously at the look on her face. It was almost as if Ava was sad to see him here, while he would have thought she would be happy to take them in again.

By this point, Ava's presence at the end of the haul was noticed by Newt and Ren as well, and ren subconsciously started reading her to see her intentions.

it was a defence mechanism. "know your enemy before you attack, it allows you to always have the upper hand." her trainer would say.

So as Ren looked into her eyes and body stance, it was simple to read her emotions. Then again, Ava was always an easy target to look into since she was so vulnerable, especially now with Thomas pointing the gun at her from the other end of the hallway.

She was sad to see them in the facility, it was painful for her to look at them. Knowing if - what ren assumed- Janson found the teens he would do awful things to them. Newt most likely getting tossed in the crank pit or killed straight off the bat, Thomas being used as a personal blood donor, and ren being tortured for information she would never give up no matter the pain. Ren had figured out this information easily based off the individual looks Ava had given them.

As Ren looked more deeply into Ava's thoughts and emotion, their connection became stronger she could almost feel what Ava was feeling, and hear the doctors thoughts.