Chapter VI

Chapter VI
°•. 🐎 .•°
Under The Stars

"We'll shoot for the moon, so what if we miss, we'll light up the dark, and be swimming in stars," -Swimming in stars, Wayfarers

"No Jasper, calm down, you didn't hurt her!" Alice lectured.

"Yes I did," I sobbed into my hands. If Evangeline could only see me now, she would be ashamed. She could never love a monster like me. She never loved me to begin with. I was a nasty Confederate she wanted to fix. To use. To turn.

"Tell me about her," Alice said.

"She never should have loved me," I sobbed.

"But she did, so tell me about it!" Alice scolded.

"S-S-She, I can't," I sobbed.

"Do it, calm yourself down," Alice scolded.

》》♡《《

We all sat around the fire.

"So Hale, what's it like being the boyfriend of a famous man!" Sam cheered. It took me a moment to realize he spoke to me. They all roared with laughter at my confused expression before I burst into laughter as well.

"Well its quite the hassle, he's a bit of a dreamer, a wanderer you might say, kinda of hard to keep track of if you know what I mean," I joined the joked.

"Oh trust me, we've been trying to keep him out of trouble for years, hassle is an understatement!" Jerome laughed. All the men laughed loudly and David started passing out drinks. I got tossed one and snatched it out of the air. I looked at it and gulped. Northerners beer. I suppose I must pretend like I like it, as not to tip them off.

"I know, its awful," Sam said. I looked up, my face shining with shock.

"W-What?" I stuttered. Evan bit 'his' lip (A/N, they call her Evan when she's pretending to be a boy and Evangeline when she's a girl again if you haven't caught on), he looked up at me and I gulped back a wad of words that wished to spew about how much better the beer at our camp was.

"Well I figure the disgust paintin' yer face is 'cause you'd had southern beer. Heavenly isn't it," Sam swooned.

"Yeah," I smiled sweetly.

"I'm tellin' ya it tastes like sucking on clouds, if any of y'all found a way to smuggle it into camp I might just leave my boo and marry ya!" Sam smiled.

"Welll," I drawled.

"No!" Sam said in disbelief. I opened my knapsack and dug, pulling out what I wished and standing up, handing the canteen to Sam.

"Well, it might be a bit stale," I blushed.

"Sorry Evan, but I'm stealing 'im, we're gettin' married," Sam announced. Then he did the most unexpected thing. He grabbed the back of my neck and kissed me. His lips were pursed tightly and so were mine. The kiss was so different from the one I had placed on Evangeline. When he pulled away I fell back to my seat and he licked his lips thoughtfully.

"What the hell was that for!" I yelled.

"His breath tastes like southern beer," Sam finally said. Evan burst into laughter and fell across my lap, gripping her stomach as the other soldiers followed her lead. Then they proceeded to shock me even more. They all ran up to me and pulled my face close to theirs. They waited for my exhale and seemed to taste the air. This is exactly why I'm not a union soldier. Next thing you know they'll be boxerless in bed together. When it was Evans turn 'he' pulled my face close to his. My stomach fluttered at the closeness and she fell to a sitting position on my lap, our noses touching.

I exhaled lightly and she breathed in the smell before pressing her lips to mine, letting her tongue wander through my mouth before pulling away and licking her lips. She jumped off my lap, leaving me to stare into nothing in shock.

"Oh my gosh he does taste like southern beer!" Evan exclaimed.

"I think you best take Grant to your tent he looks just about ready to burst," Sam hinted.

All the soldiers laughed and quite a few slapped me across the back as Evan led me away to her tent. She pulled me in but stopped me quickly at the door.

"I'm grabbing some bedding and some bedclothes, we're sleeping outside, my bed isn't big enough and if you sneak off the boys will know. They always do," she smiled fondly. The idea of sleeping in the same bed as Evangeline made my stomach twirl. She kissed my nose and when she came back she was adorned in rough cotton shorts and a grey army tee. I took of my jacket, leaving me in a white tank top as I slid the jacket over her shoulders. She smiled at me and kissed my cheek. She and I walked out and she led me to a large cliff leading to a red sea of clay down below. She layed the blankets out and curled down.

"You can take your pants off, I don't mind," Evangeline said. My cheeks bleached red and I sputtered before Evangeline laughed. My Evangeline. "I didn't mean it like that, those pants look awful uncomfortable," she smiled. I unbuckled my belt and the rough coarse fabric fell from my legs. That left me in my tight fit undergarments. I blushed as Evangeline nuzzled into the blankets and patted the spot next to her. I slid in, pulling the softened fabric over me and curling next to Evangeline.

She leaned back into me and we found ourselves in what had to be a spooning position. The heat that lit her face spread to mine as our legs tangled and her head layed against my chest. Our breathing slowed to a sync and I smiled and kissed her hair.

"Goodnight my lovely Evangeline," I said.

"Good night my heavenly Jasper," Evangeline whispered. Ny last veiw of that night was the stars glowing above us.

》》♡《《

My breathing slowed and the anxiety attack passed. I found Rosalie tearing up beside me and hugging me.

"I'm so sorry she's gone," Rosalie sobbed.

"I-" I started. My voice betrayed me by cracking at how much I missed her and Alice left me and Rosalie alone. Rosalie hugged me and I cried into her soft hair.

The position reminded me of her. But no one could ever fill the gaping hole she left in my heart. She was my love. And no one could replace that.