Chapter VII

Chapter VII
°•. 🐎 .•°
Monument

I walked up towards this no house with a scowl. This was all because of me. Me and my stupid hunger issues.

"Come on Jazz," Alice yelled from the door. She had adopted that little nickname after I told her that's what Evangeline used to call me. I only told her because I actually liked that nickname.

I left out Cactus, Dust Face, Prickly Bottom, Cowboy, Ranger Rick, Buckaroo Boing, and, well, loads more.

"Yeah, come on Prickly Bottom!" I seemed to here her call. My vision paint her standing at the door excitedly, waving me in. I choked up and blinked to get the water out of my eyes. She was gone. I walked inside and saw so many memories flash past me that I had to stumble back and sit down.

"Cowboy, why don't you tell us about what happened next," Rosalie said. I told her that out of confidence!

"Tell them Ranger Rick," Evangeline told me in my head.

"I can't see any better way to break in the house," Alice said. Edward looked at me, concern painting his features as the image of Evangeline disappeared again.

"Alright, the next bit went a bit like this-" I started confidently.

》》♡《《

I sat up, panting. Inages of fallen soldiers fell through my mind and landed in my eyes. Until I looked at Evangeline.

Her cheeks were pinked and so was her nose. Her legs were curled in and without my body heat she was shivering. Her arms curled around a small teddy bear I hadn't noticed the night before and I layed back down next to her.

She turned her body she her face was buried in my chest.

"Jasper," her lips formed in her sleep. I kissed the top of her head and her entire body fell out of tension. My arms slunk around her waist and I cuddled into her, my chin resting on her soft hair.

"Well I see she actually got some sleep,"  a voice I recognized as Sam's said.

"I got some too, only one nightmare tonight," I said without thinking.

"I get that," Sam laughed. He sat on a nearby rock and looked at me. "I would have figured a Confederate to kill her in her sleep by now," Sam said.

"I love her," was all I found in my brain to reply with.

"You didn't try to deny it," Sam pointed out.

"That would just make me more of a liar, it hurt me every minute I had to lie to you, because you are the winning side, the side I wish I had chosen in the beginning. But that would have put my southern family at risk, and I couldn't hurt Joe like that," I said.

"I get that, believe me. But would mind if I ask, who's Joe?" Sam asked.

"Josephine, the love of my life, my little sister," I said. "I have only since found one person that could even get close to being cared for as much as my Joe, and that's Evangeline," I said.

"Why do you call her Joe instead of Josie?" Sam asked.

"She's our drummerboy. I did all I could to keep her out of this but-" I choked, "I apparently couldn't do anything," I said.

"Why haven't you killed any of us yet?" Sam asked.

"I made a pact with Evangeline when I first met her, besides, why would I, you are all great people," I said.

"I'm sorry about those soldiers I killed, I was worried they were going to hurt Evangeline," Sam said sadly.

"Does anyone else know, about me I mean," I said.

"No, I just can read Evan here pretty well. She may be great at lying, but after I caught you talking to her from the bushes I knew I was right," Sam said.

"Look, Sam, it's a big favor, but if you mind spreading a rumor about how the drummerboy did something great like, freed her slaves, and get the others not to shoot at her, I would be forever in your debt," I begged.

"Will do," Sam said. "How about she's a posing girl, sister of the wonderful Grant Hale, who helped him in freeing the slaves but in return her parents forced her into the army," Sam mused.

"That would be great," I sighed in relief. "And another favor, make sure none of the guys find out, I want to do this more often and, well, if they knew that would make it a bit hard," I blushed.

"Anything for my major," Sam said. "By the way, that cut in her face, not appreciated," Sam grunted.

"I begged her to not make me do it. She's pretty stubborn, but let's just say it was love at first sight," I smiled.

"Oh trust me, I know," Sam laughed.

"I was there ya know, when you held her throat," I shuttered.

"I know, I was scared you were going to hurt her, so I took it out on her. I didn't really rationalize that you were probably hiding behind that oak on the other side of the river until after I had ran away. Then I started to wonder, I heard that twig snap when Evangeline screamed. You were scared for her. So I decided you couldn't be all bad," Sam smiled.

"Well, I'd like to think that I'm at least trying to be good. Good for Evangeline, good for Josephine," I smiled.

"You should probably put some pants on and go, the others will awake soon," Sam informed. I looked down at my undergarments and blushed before quickly yanking up the stolen union pants. "Oh no need for those, I retrieved your outfit," Sam said. He tossed me my uniform and I ditched the union pants before pulling up my own, more comfortable, clothes.

"Thanks," I said.

"Quick question, what's your real name?" Sam asked.

"Jasper, Jasper Whitlock," I replied. Then I ran through the woods back to my camp, finding Grant at the border before telling him about everything.

》》♡《《

"Did Sam make it?" Rosalie asked.

"I think we need to pay a visit to the civil war monument, so I can show you," I said.