Prologue: Jotaro Kujo's Hospital Visit

July 1988

·~•✯•~·

"Noriaki! Wake up!"

"Come on, just open your eyes! I'm right here!"

"Noriaki, please. You promised you'd be okay. Just wake up. I'm right here. I'm not gonna leave you. Just please, open your eyes and look at me."

"Don't give up on me, okay?"

Water filled the redhead's lungs. He struggled for air, kicking his legs as hard as he could, swimming in every direction. He couldn't tell which way was up, and the thought clouded his mind. He called out for someone, anyone; but his scream was muffled by the deep blue waves.

"Jojo! Help me!"

He kept kicking, spotting a silhouette above the water. It had to be him.

Jojo was right there.

Just above the surface.

·~•✯•~·

The white light of the hospital was blinding. The putrid scent of death and sickness thickened the air and made it near impossible for Jotaro to breathe. He looked across the room at the redhead in the bed. The monitor beeped quietly, assuring the ravenette his best friend was alive, even though he had been comatose for weeks. He took off his hat and brought his hand to his eyes, letting a few tears fall.

"This is all my fault. . . ." he murmured to himself. "I'm so sorry, Nori. If I had been quicker . . ."

"J-Jojo?"

His head jerked up at the voice and a wave of relief washed over him. "You're awake?"

"Of course, I am." He craned his neck, struggling to see the ravenette. "What are you mumbling about over there?"

"Nothing." Jotaro wiped his eyes and put his hat back on. "I'm just really happy you're awake." He stood up and walked over to the lavender-eyed boy, pulling over a chair and sitting beside him. He gently clasped the redhead's smaller hand in his own. "Does it hurt?"

"A little bit," he responded with a wince. "But I'll be okay. I'm strong." He looked the ravenette's face over. "You look terrible, Jojo. Have you been sleeping well?"

"Not really," he admitted. "I'm trying to be there for you more."

He squeezed his hand. "Stop focusing on me for a while and take care of yourself."

"But what about you? Will you be okay?"

"I'll be fine; the doctors here and at the Speedwagon Foundation take good care of me." His face changed; he looked excited. "Does Mr. Joestar know I'm here? What about Polnareff and Iggy and Mr. Avdol?"

He nodded. "Gramps knows, he helped me carry you here. And . . ." He paused, choking on his words.

"Jojo? What's wrong?"

"Pol and Iggy and Avdol didn't make it."

His face fell. "Oh. I'm so sorry. It was probably really hard for you."

"It was, yeah. But I've got you and Gramps. At least someone survived."

He nodded, squeezing Jotaro's hand harder. "How about my parents? And Miss Holly? Did she recover?"

"They're worried, but everyone's fine. You've only been here for six months, remember that."

He studied Jotaro's hand. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there and help you get used to home life again."

"Don't apologize. You did more than you realize. Thanks to you, the world is safe and Mom is, too."

He arched his back, reaching his face toward the ceiling. "I can't wait until I get out of here, Jojo. Can you?"

"Nope." He smiled before remembering. "I got you something."

"Really? What is it?"

He reached into his pocket, producing a small box. "Just a little something for your birthday." He choked, trying to keep from crying in front of the redhead. "You were still asleep though, so I couldn't give it to you."

"Jojo, I don't think you're supposed to bring gifts into here." He said that, but there was a mischievous glint in his lavender eyes. "You could get in big trouble."

"I don't care. I don't know the next time you'll be awake."

He turned the soft, velvety box over in his fingers, tracing the small star pattern on the front. Finally, after a suspenseful silence, he opened the box. Inside was an aquamarine earring that looked like a star. Noriaki lifted the stud up, watching the light bounce as it reflected through the gem. He smiled widely at the ravenette. "Jojo, you didn't have to."

"Is it too much? Do you not like it?"

"I do, I just wish I could wear it in here."

He nodded. "I saw it the other day and I couldn't think of a better time to get it to you."

He placed the stud back in the box, closing it tightly and handing it back to Jotaro. "We'll get my second piercing after I get out, alright?"

"Don't let me forget."

·~•✯•~·

A/N: hi everyone who reads this! i have been rewriting this story for a week or so now and i've narrowed it down to about twenty or so chapters instead of almost forty. this was a sort of teaser, i'll probably publish the first chapter along with this one. let me know what you all think! <3

Word Count: 840