2. showtime, baby

I spun around in the old desk chair, looking up at the ceiling, pen twirling around my index and middle finger. I was somewhat listening to what Andy was saying, but, for the most part, I was more interested in the lines in the ceiling.
Eventually I lower my head and turn to her, a guilty smile pulling at my lips when she finally realized I wasn't paying much attention to the conversation.

She rolled her eyes and spun to the opposite end of her desk, looking through a drawer before pulling out a file and placing it on the table next to her computer. She typed on the keyboard a little before sighing and sitting back in the chair. "You know, when you said "let's move to LA to be famous" this wasn't what I was expecting." She admitted, her head tilting towards me.

"At least one of us got shit done" I joke, resulting in her throwing another pen at me. I start laughing and pick up the pen from the floor, twirling it around my other hand. 

After Sasha's funeral I packed my shit up and moved to New York without ever looking back. There, I met Andrea. We were both desperate artist looking to make some kind of difference, so we stuck together. While I was busy trying to figure out what I'd do with music, she started photography. She used me as a model a few times, getting us both some kind of recognition and a year later, we impulsively decide to make our way to Los Angeles.

I gotta admit, at first I was skeptical about all of it. I know I was the one who brought it up but when reaching California, I started to panic. We were broke, and all alone. I had only released a few songs on my own and not many people knew who I was.
Eventually I met Monica, signed into Gem Records and made a name for myself. Got into a few fights...

[ Brooklyn Gray brought to Los Angeles County Jail after bar fight ]

...had a few great one-night stands...

"You're leaving already?" The man said. I was so hungover I couldn't even remember his name, making me think we hadn't gotten to that part yet.
I look at him, pants and bra in hand. "Uh... yeah... I had fun..." I smile crookedly, hoping he wouldn't take my departure personally. 

...partied...a lot...

"Brooklyn, you're late" Monica scowled at me back stage, the crowd screaming my name.
I laughed and shook my head. "Only a few minutes."
"The first song was supposed to start 30 minutes ago... Are you... Are you drunk!?"

...let's just say I worked my ass off.
Sure, I have trouble taking things seriously, I've got a short temper, and a shitty attitude-- whatever! Name me a celebrity who doesn't have some kind of addiction problem, who can go a few days without pissing at least one person off. Can't think of any? Exactly.

Throughout every scandal, every drama-driven tweet, every hangover, Andrea was there. She's the only friend who stuck by my side since New York. Her and Monica are the only people who are able to put me back in my place.
I'd do anything for those two.

"I ended things with Emily" I say, looking down at the two pens in my hand. I couldn't see Andy but I knew that her expression had immediately dropped. Her smile went away and her head gradually lifted up from against the chair.

"You broke up with Emily?" She sort of repeated.
I whip my head up, brows knitted together in irritation.

"There was nothing to break up, she wasn't-- she's not my girlfriend." I repeat myself, obviously annoyed.

Andy rolled her eyes and smiled, shaking her head. "Right..." She muttered with sarcasm. "Brook, she was at your place almost every night" Andy laughed out, resting her elbows on her desk.