31. kept secret

I've been put in a holding cell before. It's nothing new.
It's just that this time... there was something different about it. 

For starters the young officer at the door has kept on staring at me since I've been put here. Every time I lower my head or simply look away, I can feel his eyes on me. And, of course, every time I look up at him, he tries to hide the fact that he's been staring but fails miserably. 

I think that, the other thing that makes this time different is that before... I had nothing to lose. I was a stubborn drunk with anger issues and I knew I'd get out of it. I knew that either Miguel or Monica would come running back with the key on how to get back out there just to do it all over again.

You might be thinking to yourself, "Brooklyn, you're still a stubborn drunk with anger issues". Here's where you're wrong. First, I'm not allowed to drink, and second... no, that's about it.

This time though, I have people to look after. I've got a family, a boyfriend. I finally grew up and acknowledged my responsibilities. I made a promise to the people who matter the most yet... I'm back here.

I know I might've broken that promise. I know I might've crossed every sort of line there is. But, if I had the chance to do it all over again or walk the other way, I'd do it again in a damn heartbeat. I'll tell the judge that I am guilty of beating that man half to death, I'll tell the whole world.

Alexis meant the absolute world to me-- she still does-- being stuck here for a few hours on New Years is a small price to pay. 

Eventually though, like I mentioned earlier, I heard the front door click open, followed by a couple sets of footsteps. 
My head shot up at the sound of heels and a smile pulls at my lips when noticing Monica walking over to me with a man in a police uniform, and another in a suit.

I stood up from the concrete bench and made my way over to the metal bars where I waited for her to lock eyes with me, but that moment never came.

"Hey Monica" I say in a playful tone, happy to see her again.

She scoffed, shaking her head before finally looking up at me. "Don't "Hey Monica" me." She countered irritably.

The officer unlocked the cell and held the door open for me. I nod at him but he simply glares at me. At this point, I rather have the staring than whatever this was.
Once I was out, he shut the cell door and gestured his hand out to the front door. We followed the other officer out, and eventually, we were in the hall. 

The policeman walked further in front of us, which gave me a chance to finally address the man in a suit walking to my left. "Who's this guy?" I ask Monica, discreetly pointing up at him.

He looked down at my hand and frowned but didn't say anything.

"That's Louis." She said, still in a stern voice. Monica didn't even bother to look at me when talking, she just kept her eyes in front of her as we made our way down the long and narrow corridor. "He's your new lawyer."

I turned to him again and he flashed me a half smile. The one white people do when they walk past each other because they're awkward and don't know how to properly greet someone. 

I nod and look back over to her. "What happened to the last one?"

"He quit." She spat out. 

"Bummer" I say, letting out a short laugh. "I liked him."

"Yeah," She faked her laughter a little, still mad. "He didn't like you very much."

"Ouch..." I mutter under my breath.