chapter three - the flight

lyndon williams

monday, june 18th

We all woke up around the same time and everyone came back to my hotel room. Then we went to enjoy the free breakfast as everyone said their goodbyes to their family.

I walked over to my parents, Dylan, and Sierra who had driven the hours to say goodbye. They all had different looks on their faces. Dylan with a supportive and sad face. Sierra with just a sad face. And my mom parents with their scared and supportive face.

"Promise you'll call when you land?" my mom asked quietly as she hugged me.

"You know I will"

"Make sure you get me and Sierra something from LA!" Dylan said as he wrapped his arms around me and placed a kiss on my forehead.

My dad gave me a sad look as I walked over to him.

"You know I'll miss you more than they will." he said sadly.

"I know." I said as he looked down at me.

"You'll do great. I'm proud of you." he said. I didn't respond because I knew I would probably cry and they didn't need that right now.

Then Sierra. She stood a couple feet away looking at all of the travel things in the hotel lobby. Then she looked up and walked towards me. We didn't even say a word. We hugged for what felt like forever. I hated leaving her. But we both knew it was for the best.

"I love you guys!" I said as I grabbed my luggage, two muffins, and a white Powerade from the breakfast line and headed onto the bus that would take us to the airport. They waved and started saying their 'I love you's.

I went up the steps onto the bus and immediately saw Julie wave me over. I saw that all of our seats were marked with velcro name badges in the US colours. I also saw that all of the new teammates were in front of the bus all lined up, while all the OG Ducks were sitting in the back by their best friends, or in Connie and Guys case they sat by their significant others. I'm not going to lie after talking to Guy last night. Even if it was only a couple minutes, I was kinda jealous of Connie. I looked at them and Julie noticed.

She sighed, "Let me guess. You like Guy?" she questioned. She read me like a book and I only met this girl yesterday.

"What? No! I met him yesterday. No feelings. He is cute though, I can't deny that." I giggled quietly.

"Who's cute?" Guy peered around the seat as he said it.

"Oh just some guy we saw at the hotel breakfast" Julie said. There was no breakfast boy. I could feel my cheeks burning up as she said that.

He turned back around to his seat. As soon as he did Julie and I made eye contact and started giggling.

The bus finally started moving and some soft music played over the radio. Midnight Memories. I could hear everyone start singing and right when it came to the end we arrived at the airport.

We all went through security and arrived in a little area that had our Team USA gear. I got to my bag and opened it. There were skates, pads, jackets, sweats, socks, hats, and our jerseys. All red, white and blue with 'Hendricks' all over it.

"You'd think we'd at least be able to keep our original colours." Charlie said to Bombay. I could hear them talking but not make out what they said.

I lifted up my jersey and saw 'WILLIAMS' in white lettering and looked down to see my number.

"What number you get?" Julie asked. I saw her holding up her iconic number six.