chapter six - trinidad and secrets

lyndon williams

wednesday, june 20th

'Holy shit. Its game day.' I thought to myself before I got woken up by my alarm. Never Enough by Rex Orange County played softly, just so Julie and Connie wouldn't hear it. It was 7:30, it would be kind of rude to just wake them up. I rolled over and looked to see if they were still sleeping. Julie was still out and snoring. No Connie. She was there when I went to bed last night, our bathroom was open, and her bed was made. Early breakfast? Pregame workout? I looked around and heard Julie's phone vibrate multiple times. I unlocked her phone with my fingerprint.

One new message from Connie M😙🥶

I saw on her phone. I decided to just open it, my gut told me too.

Connie M😙🥶
jules i swear if you aren't awake soon

me guy banks and luis are waiting!!

we have get lyndons surprise ready!!

hello????

did you sleep through your alarm?

its also game day!

JULIE WAKE YOUR ASS UP!!

I shut off her phone, set it down then walked into the bathroom. A surprise? My birthday isn't until October, nothing has happened recent enough. I've known them what, four days? They were my new best friends but what would they have planned so early. Soon enough she woke up saw the messages and rushed to get out the door. While I asked where she was going, all she said was "I'll be back at 9! With breakfast!"

-

I finished getting showered and dressed I wore all of my Team USA clothes to represent. Julie braid my hair while I braided Connie's. I wanted to ask so badly what the surprise was. It was killing me. Julie did fulfill her promise of bringing breakfast though. Waffles, grapes, and chocolate milk. Weird combination but whatever. Suddenly Averman, Banksie, Charlie, and Luis walked in.

"You guys excited for today?" Charlie asked eagerly.

"I don't see how they aren't," Luis started as he scooted over to Connie, "We're Team USA!"

"I'm nervous, my first real hockey game with only three practices." I told them.

"Lyndon, you will do amazing," Averman said, "your the Lyndon Miester. Connie is the Velvet Hammer, Julie is the Cat. Wait we need something original for you! Something the hockey community can call you instead of softball!"

Everyone stayed silent for a moment when Adam stood up and said "Lyndon 'Catch Catch' Williams!" We all laughed and nodded in agreement.

I was now Lyndon 'Catch Catch' Williams.

-

The siren rang as Connie made the next shot!

"Yeah go Connie!" I cheered from the bench.

We were now winning 7-0 by the third period and I played twice already and blocked 4 shots. Playing hockey was amazing. I missed softball but this sport was so much more tough than I thought and it was exhilarating.