chapter twenty two - the final game the final part

lyndon williams

wednesday, june 27th

We walked out of the doors into a screaming audience. The cheers were erupting. We skated out to show off the new jersey's. I felt like I was dreaming this was so unreal.

We got to the bench and I looked up at where my parents were. They were giving me a weird look about the jersey. I shrugged at them and mouthed 'Ducks fly together!' They smiled and cheered.

"Wu, Germaine, Moreau, Averman, Dwayne and Goldberg! You guys ready?" Bombay yelled.

We cheered to show out readiness.

"Quack, quack, quack!" He started to chant.

"Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack, quack!" We said with him.

Soon the crowd joined in chanting it with us. The arena was filled with it.

"Gooooo Ducks!" we all finished.

Everyone broke off to where they were supposed to and the crowd started chair again.

"We will, we will, quack you!" They yelled in the beat of We Will Rock You. I loved Queen so I started rocking out to it with Julie, Adam, Dean, Fulton, and Charlie. We could even see Goldberg dancing at the goalpost.

When the game started Connie immediately knocked down the Iceland player that punched me, proud best friend moment.

After awhile I noticed that Guy had the puck, he passed it to Kenny who passed it back. Guy slid it to Connie and she scored!

The siren rang as we all yelled.

"Yeah! Go Connie! That's my best friend!" Me and Julie yelled.

"Alright Ducks!" I heard her say as she hugged everyone on the ice.

We were still down by two now and Averman had it, "Averman! Watch your back!" I yelled, seeing that Iceland was right behind him.

He got knocked down as they stole the puck, Goldberg saved it as they shot the first time. Only to get knocked down and let them score the second time. We're now trailing 5-2.

"Time out!" Charlie yelled. Everyone skated in.

We all circled around the clipboard that had basketball markings on it.

"Charlie, what're you trying to do here?" I asked in confusion.

Averman nodded with me, "Yeah this isn't the NBA."

"But it's the perfect team work play!" He pleaded.

After he told us what to do we all broke off to where we were supposed to be. And I was supposed to be on the bench.

I watched as Dena got the puck and passed it to Adam. Adam started skating.

"Now! Come on!" Charlie yelled.

Adam passed the puck back to Dwayne. "Ally oop boys!" Dwayne yelled as he hit the puck into the air.

Adam went and skated after it before it hit the ground. The Iceland player tripped him but he managed to put in the into the net!

We jumped and screamed and cheered in excitement.

"Nice thinking Charlie!" I said to him patting his back.

We were coming down to the final minutes of the game. It could really go either way at this point. Iceland's hitting was getting stronger and starting to happen more. We were still hanging in there. Even though I winced every time Guy got flipped or checked into the boards. I was just happy he was playing.