chapter twelve - german apologies

lyndon williams

saturday, june 23rd

"Hey! Hey team! We're gonna do great today right? Where's Gordon?" Tibbles asked us. We had just been done talking about what we were going to do without coach being here. This guy needed to get his priorities straight.

"You tell us." Luis snapped back.

"I don't believe this." he replied.

The ref skated up to us, "Team USA, I'm sorry but without a coach behind the bench you forfeit the game."

"You can't do that!" Adam said. We all agreed with him. I looked around the stands and made my way to the ref.

"We have a coach!" Everyone looked at me with confusion. I stepped onto the ice and skated over to our teacher. "Ms McKay!"

"Hey Lyndon! What's up?"

"You have to pretend to be our Coach! Or we forfeit the game." I said.

"Where's Coach Bombay?" she asked. Charlie skated over to us.

He looked at me and knew exactly what I said, "Pretend or we're out of the tournament." he finished for me.

"I don't know anything about coaching!" she exclaimed as the ref skated over to us.

"Here she is! Our coach. Coach McKay" I told the man. I was clearly lying. He looked up at her while she looked at the team. They some how knew what was going on and started agreeing with us.

She then stood up and yelled, "Well! What're we waiting for? The ice to freeze? Let's play!"

The team started cheering while me and Charlie skated back over.

"Smart thinking Williams." Guy said patting my shoulder.

"Uh let's see." she pointed at a couple of us, "Guy, Jesse, Adam, Connie, and Fulton you go out first, and Lyndon be goalie."

We broke it down and went out. Germany immediately got the puck and started skating towards me, they shot it and I caught it. I heard the crowd cheer. Not short after I noticed that everyone was just throwing their weight around. Guy got checked into the boards, Adam got tripped and Jesse just couldn't stay up. Suddenly I headed a yell.

"Change it up!" It was Ms McKay. All I could think was 'go her'.

We got through the next two periods with some change ups, Goldberg and I switching out, then back again. We scored twice on them while they did the same to us. It seemed to be going well. We were about to have a face off at center right as the third period started when a sound a rose from the crowd. I skated over to the boys standing in the middle. Guy, Jesse, Fulton, Averman, and Charlie we looking up at someone with a hunting call.

"He finally shows up." Fulton says.

"No way guys." Averman said. "And girl. Sorry Catch Catch."

I smiled at him while Jesse spoke up, "Come on Averman, take the face off."

"Alright."

I skated back to the goal post. And looked up and he kept blasting that call. It was a Duck call. Oh my god. I took my helmet and shrugged my shoulders at Julie who was doing it to me. I saw Guy, Averman, and Fulton talking.

"Come on in!" Bombay yelled. "Let's go! Come on!"

I skated up to Guy and looked at him. We made eye contact and he shrugged at me. We skated over to the team and watched Bombay kiss Ms McKay on the cheek.

"Guys. I was wrong. And I'm sorry. I forgot about the team. And the team is all I have. All I want is another chance. One more shot. I'm back. Okay? Believe me." he said. I couldn't even look at him. I skated out without saying a word to him. Before everyone else did. They talked for a while while I got set up at the goalpost. I knew I was being a little dramatic but I didn't care.