45

Chapter Forty-Five

A

RIA'S TRIP TO Egypt had changed a lot of things in her life. The visit had been the most fun, except, of course, when Ron's rat decided to bite the tip of her finger. Aside from that minuscule incident, things had been wonderful, but Aria felt like she was missing something.

Perhaps, Aria considered, she missed her father, not having heard from him since the last day of school-he had not even written to her.

She carefully pushed the thought aside. Maybe it was Malfoy she missed. Again, that couldn't be it, after all, what would she miss about him? His snarky comments and bad attitude? No, it wasn't him that she missed.

"Eat up, love. We have to leave soon." Molly ran her hand soothingly along Aria's back as she walked past.

They had all been staying in the Leaky Cauldron for a day or so now. Hermione had joined them that morning.

Aria's perspective on things had changed over her holiday with the Weasleys. She knew what it was like to care for someone other than herself now, she knew what it was like to have a family and be cared for. Of course, she loved her father, but spending time with George had made Aria realize just how much affection she craved and lacked when she did live with her father.

Now, as she watched Fred tease Ginny from across the table, Aria couldn't help but smile.

George laughed at his brother from beside Aria, his arm slung loosely across the back of her chair. They had become closer in Egypt, she felt something deeper for him now than before they had left. Even the thought of being separated from him made her blood boil.

As much as she loved him, Aria was furious that he was in Gryffindor, that all of them were, and, although she would never admit it, she would sometimes wonder why she had to be in Slytherin.

Near the door, Ron and Hermione argued about their pets.

"They fight like an old married couple." Aria teased and kissed George's cheek before standing up to talk to Molly.

Hermione and Ron continued to bicker amongst themselves until very suddenly all went silent. Aria had been about to question why but before she could, Harry's name had been shouted out gleefully by all who saw him.

Aria smiled at him before averting her eyes. She couldn't look directly at him, not after what she had almost done to him the previous year. It still haunted her nightmares.

He sat down at the table, Ron was quick to show him a newspaper clipping with all of their faces on it. It had been taken in Egypt and if you looked carefully enough, you would be able to see a bright red handprint across Fred's arm. He'd made a crude joke just before the photo was taken and Molly had been so infuriated that she smacked him. Needless to say, it was the source of all their jolly grins in that picture.

"Not flashing that clipping about again, are you, Ron?" George chuckled, appearing behind Aria from nowhere.

"I haven't shown anyone!" Ron tried to defend himself, Aria snorted at the lie. She didn't think that he had even put it down since he received it.

"No, not a soul. Not unless you count Tom."

"The day maid."

"The night maid."

"The cook."

"The bloke that came to fix the toilet."

"And that wizard from Belgium..."

Aria laughed, taking the seat next to George as he sat down and Molly stole Harry's attention away.

While she admired her boyfriend, her attention went to Fred, then Hermione and Ginny, and Ron. She wondered if things would change when they got back to Hogwarts.

Pushing her thoughts to the side, Aria watched as Arthur pulled Harry aside, beginning a secretive-looking conversation with him. Now, Aria had sworn off eavesdropping, but their conversation looked so tempting... Perhaps listening in one last time would not be the end of the world. Decided, Aria focused all her attention on what Arthur and Harry were saying.

"Harry, some within the Ministry would strongly discourage me from divulging what I'm about to reveal to you. But I think you need to know the facts. You are in danger. Grave danger."

Danger?

Aria stopped listening to their conversation. No, she refused to involve herself with any more drama, not after what had happened the previous year, because who knew, she may very well go through with the next suggestion to murder someone if given the opportunity to gain everything she desired.

Aria was determined to stay out of it, but something told her that would be harder than it seemed.