18

Chapter Eighteen

FOUR MONTHS.

THAT'S how long it had been since Aria came back from Christmas break.

That's how long it had been since she had become friends with Anna again.

And that's how long it had been since her father had said a word to her.

Four months.

Aria was currently sitting by the Black Lake, a Muggle Studies textbook in one hand and Cedric's hand in her other.

She had decided that she actually did like him enough to endure any consequences that came with publicly being with him. One of those consequences was her father wanting nothing to do with her anymore.

"What's a microwave?" Cedric read over Aria's shoulder.

"Something muggles use to heat their food." She replied, bored with the Kitchen Appliances section of the textbook.

He nodded and continued to stare at the sky, watching the birds that flew by intently.

"Cedric."

"Mmm?"

"What do you want to do when you graduate from Hogwarts?"

He seemed to think about it for a moment and then shrugged. "I don't know, my father wants me to be like him and take over as head of Magical Transportation, but I'm not exactly interested in that. Why do you ask?"

"It's nothing. My dad's never told me anything of the sort, I wonder if he even cares."

"I'm sure he does," Cedric reassured her. "But what do you want to do?"

Aria shrugged. She hadn't thought about it at all and in an attempt not to seem like a loser who didn't know what to do with their future, she leaned in to kiss him and move away from the subject of fathers and jobs.

Cedric wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him.

Their blissful moment was short-lived, however as Malfoy interrupted it. "Sorry to interrupt this disgusting display of affection. Snape, I need to speak with you."

"What is it?" Aria snapped.

"It's about our fathers, come on."

Aria grumbled and stood up, promising Cedric that she would be back as she followed Malfoy towards the school.

"Could this not have waited?" She snapped.

"Actually, it could have, but I couldn't bear to watch that disgraceful scene for another second."

"Then you don't look! What do you want from me?"

"I need your help."

"With..."

"Remember when I promised not to tell anyone about you and Diggory?"

"Yes, I promised I would do something for you. Go on, what is it that you want?"

"Meet me by the Black Lake tonight, okay?"

"We'll get into so much trouble for being out of bed."

"Nonsense, just sneak out. I'll see you at ten."

With that, the little blonde boy stalked away. Aria had no intention of doing what he had asked, but she had made a promise and her word meant something. She was going to have to risk it.

ϟ

It was quarter to ten and Aria found herself navigating the corridors with her wand and occasionally bumping into walls.

She knew that if she was caught she would be done for and that she couldn't use her father as an excuse anymore since everybody knew that they weren't speaking. Her next choice was to lie and say that she had been sleepwalking, it was a long shot, but it was the best she could come up with.

Aria froze at the sound of footsteps, but it was only Malfoy.

"I thought we were going to meet by the lake?"

"We were. Let's go."

A few moments passed and Aria was becoming annoyed at the slow pace. "Why could we not have just met in the common room?"

"People could hear us in the common room. Honestly, you're not very bright."

She wanted to clobber him on the head but refrained. She didn't need to be caught out of bed and assaulting another student on top of that.

"Is this some kind of trick? Are you going to push me into the Black Lake? I haven't done anything in the last four months to deserve that!"

"Snape, I-"

Aria shoved her hand over his mouth at the sound of low whispers from somewhere nearby.

"Snape!" He moved her hand.

"Shut up!" She hissed and watched as a floating lantern moved past them.

The pair shared equal expressions of both confusion and terror and waited for the lantern to move out of eyesight before they dared to speak again.

"Let's go." He moved towards a window.

"Are you mad? After that! I'm going back to bed."

"Come on, Snape!" He whined. "You're such a coward."

"I am not!" Aria shoved past him and climbed out of the window. "Would a coward do this?"

Draco followed her onto the grounds and just as they were about to turn towards the lake, the same floating lantern came into sight, but this time it wasn't floating - it was being held.

"Who's that?"

"Potter!" Malfoy snapped. "It's Potter and his friends."

"It's a tad concerning that you can tell it's Potter by the back of his head in the middle of the night."

"Let's follow them."

"What about the Black Lake?"

"It can wait. Come on, Snape!"

Aria ran after Malfoy and eventually found herself right outside of Hagrid's house. She peeked in, there was a lit fireplace. Everything seemed so warm and toasty inside of his house and she instantly missed her bed.

"Malfoy, let's go." She groaned.

"Do you not see that? It's a dragon's egg!" Malfoy gasped as the two stared through the window.

At that moment, all three first years' eyes turned towards the window, spotting both of them.

"Come on!" Aria grabbed his arm and pulled him back towards the castle.

"This is perfect! We could get them expelled and get the oaf fired! Let's tell McGonagall."

Aria sighed but followed him nevertheless. "I have a bad feeling about this."