22

Chapter Twenty-Two

ARIA RAN AS her father called her name furiously. Fred and George had scattered when he had yelled - she could still hear their footsteps as they ran away.

She turned the corner sharply, bumping into Malfoy. "Snape? You seem in a hurry."

"I am." She glanced back to make sure her father wasn't following her. "And you're coming too." She grabbed the blond boy by his sleeve and pulled him along to Dumbledores office. She was sure that if anyone knew the truth, it was him and she needed answers immediately.

"Dumbledores office. Have I done something?" Malfoy asked, concerned for his own well-being.

Aria shooshed him as she tried to remember the password. She had seen a piece of parchment with a strange word scribbled onto it on her father's desk. "Lemon drop." She spoke and the stone gargoyle began to rotate, revealing a staircase.

She grabbed Malfoy and dragged him up the stairs. She didn't know why she needed him with her, but it felt right to bring him along, for moral support if nothing else.

"Aria Snape." Dumbledore's voice sounded throughout the large room. She gulped. "Draco Malfoy." He looked down at the boy. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I have a few questions, Headmaster. I think only you can answer them." She admitted.

He nodded and gestured to a door. "We can speak in there." Aria walked into the room, glancing back at Malfoy who was too busy familiarizing himself with Dumbledores belongings to even notice that she had moved.

"What do you need?" Dumbeldore questioned and sat opposite her.

Aria swallowed. She was so close to knowing the truth. In a few short seconds, her theories would be proven true and she would know who her mother is. "Last night," she began. "I stumbled upon a photograph of my father when he was at school. There was a blonde woman next to him who I barely paid any attention to until I looked into the Mirror of Erised and saw her again. It was Narcissa Malfoy. You see, I've read about the mirror. I know it shows you your heart's deepest desire and mine is to see my mother, to know who she is. So, is it her? Is Narcissa my mother?"

Dumbledore was silent for a moment, carefully assessing Aria and then glancing through the door, at Malfoy who didn't seem to be paying any attention.

"I came to you because if I went to my father he would most certainly lie to me again-"

Dumbledore raised a hand to silence her. "Aria, I would like to say yes. You seem so hopeful that it is Narcissa."

"I am!"

He nodded. "Would you said, that you desire Narcissa to be your mother more than anything?"

Aria gulped. She didn't like what he was insinuating.

"I don't think it's possible." He said sharply. "While your father and Narcissa may have been in the same house, they were hardly friends. Narcissa and Lucius had been together for many years before they left Hogwarts. Your father never paid much attention to anyone, I'm afraid and it would be far below Narcissa to be unfaithful, don't you think?"

Aria nodded and stared at the floor. "So, it's a no, then?"

The old man nodded. "I'm afraid so."

"Thank you." She stood up, about to head out and never show her face again.

"Aria." She stopped as Dumbeldore called after her. "I think it unwise to continue in this search for a woman who may not even still be alive." He spoke, a glint in his eye.

It had given him away, he knew something that he wasn't letting on.

"Don't tell my father about this, please."

"It stays between us." He assured her.

She thanked him and left. "Hear any of that?" She asked Malfoy as they descended the staircase. Aria felt embarrassed to her core for jumping to conclusions like that.

"All of it." He nodded, a cheeky smirk on his face. "Don't worry, Snape. I won't tell anyone, but you owe me a favor."

"You and your stupid needs." She rolled her eyes teasingly, allowing a small smile to form on her face. She may have looked happy, but inside she felt more empty than ever.

She wondered if she would ever find her mother or at least know who she was because if it wasn't Narcissa, then who was it?