49

Chapter Forty-Nine

ARIA SLAMMED HER book shut in aggravation. She had been trying to study for the past few hours but found it impossible to focus. Her mind was too busy worrying about Sirius Black and the Dementors that roamed the grounds to worry about school work.

Her dorm room had been too noisy, what with Matilda gushing over some boy she fancied and so Aria had made her way to the library to try and study in a noise-free area. She had chosen a place right near the back where there could be no possible distractions, but George had somehow spotted her and was now in the middle of a lengthy monologue regarding Quidditch.

Aria had zoned out at his first mention of the World Cup next year and skimmed the cover of her textbook. She knew she would have failed her fourth year had it not been for the lucky break she received when exams had been canceled. With her O.W.L.s beginning this year, she knew she would not be as fortunate.

"George, don't you need to... study?" She send him a pleading look, hoping he would get the hint and leave her in peace.

He shrugged, "No, I've finished all my work. Besides, Fred and I want to open a shop."

She hadn't known about his plans and they stressed her out more than she cared to admit. She didn't have any plans for the future, she had not even considered any possible careers. She supposed her fifth year was as good a time as any to figure out what she wanted to do with her life.

That is if she were able to pass her fifth year, and with George's incessant rambling she knew it would be a challenge.

She considered that her boyfriend may have just been bored. Giving him a few minutes of attention wouldn't hurt anything. "George, do you want to go for a walk?"

"I have Charms class next lesson, but yes, I do." He grinned and led her out of the library.

Aria tried to remain calm as they crossed over the Quidditch pitch, afraid to look up and see what she was sure would be hundreds of wispy black figures all plotting her demise. She held George's arm tighter and concentrated on the ground.

They stopped just on the outskirts of the forest just in time to see Harry land and jump off of a magnificent creature. "That's Care of Magical Creatures, isn't it?" She asked. "Did you do that in your third year?" It was not a subject that Aria had taken, it had been between that and Muggle Studies and she had never regretted her choice.

"No, the professor then liked to keep us on the ground or in the water. He was very much against air travel, fell off a broom once or something."

"So then what did you do?"

"Well," George began to laugh. "Last year, Freddy and I fed a firecracker to a salamander. It scared the whole class and so we rescued it for extra credit."

"Oh, how rebellious," Aria rolled her eyes and laughed, leaning up to kiss him.

She abruptly pulled away as the screams from a familiar voice reached her ears. She began to head in his direction, stopping when George grabbed her arm. "Where are you going?"

"Can't you hear? That's Malfoy screaming!"

"So? Why is that your problem?"

"He's my friend, George." Aria looked into his eyes, searching for the source of his objection.

George sighed and surrendered. "Fine. I have to get to Charms anyway." He grumbled and moped off.

Aria spared her boyfriend one last glance before hurrying into the forest to find Malfoy. She crouched beside the wailing blond, scared to touch him in fear of hurting him more. "What happened to him?" She demanded, looking up at Hagrid angrily.

"That bloody chicken killed me!"

Aria looked up and spotted that magnificent creature again, her heart beating faster in awe of the beast. She looked down at Malfoy again, wincing.

Aria grabbed his bags as Hagrid lifted him and carried him to the hospital wing, glaring behind her at a few Gryffindor's who found the situation amusing.

She watched from the door as Hagrid set him down on a single bed, still groaning and screaming, threatening to tell his father.

Aria glared as Ronald walked past, a smug expression on his pale face, obviously very pleased with the events that had played out. He had not hesitated to make his hatred of Draco known while in Egypt.

Aria grabbed his robes as he strutted past, causing him to stop. "What are you so happy about?"

"Nothing." The words were hurried out.

She rolled her eyes, "What happened to Draco out there?"

Ron grimaced. "Malfoy approached the Hippogriff and got attacked, despite being warned against it. He got what was coming to him."

"Hagrid should have been watching!"

"Hagrid can't do anything if your stupid friend won't listen. Why do you care so much anyway, Aria?"

"I was curious." She noticed his harsh expression. "You look just like your brother when you look at me like that." She rolled her eyes, looking away from the glare. "Please stop."

"Do you ever think you spend too much time with Malfoy? His whole family is horrible to us Weasley's. You should think about George's feelings."

"But-"

Ron shook his head in disgust and began to walk away, ignoring Aria's pleas.

She huffed in annoyance and stormed back into the hospital wing where Draco lay, barely conscious.

"Hey, Snape!" He waved her over.

She looked down at his pale face, it was even lighter than usual if that was at all possible. "Yes, Malfoy. What is it?"

"Did you see the Hippogriff?"

"Yes, Malfoy."

"Did you see Potter ride it?"

"Yes."

"That's how I want you to ride me."

Aria blinked a few times in disbelief. "Merlin, Draco!" She stepped back. "What bloody medication did they give you?"

But he couldn't answer, he had already passed out, leaving Aria to her now very disturbing thoughts.