25

Chapter Twenty-Five

SCANDAL ARISES WITH SNAPE YET AGAIN!

Aria Snape, third-year Slytherin, caught snogging a Gryffindor, the cherry on top being that he was a WEASLEY!

Hufflepuff's, Gryffindors, the infamous troublemaker seems to have a peculiar taste in boys. What next, Aria? A first-year? Malfoy perhaps.

Aria smiled, nodding in approval at the headline. Sure, the added bit about Malfoy and what it implied was unnecessary and made bile rise in her throat, but she had gotten what she wanted. The only thing left to do was make sure that Cedric saw it and that her father did not. She feared what kind of punishment she would receive if he found out.

"Aria!" Anna stormed into the room, slamming the door behind her hard enough to make the windows rattle. "A Weasley!" She threw her copy of the Slytherin Weekly at her best friend's head. "I had my doubts about Diggory, but he's gorgeous so I overlooked his flaws, but a Gryffindor? Have you no standards?"

Aria rolled her eyes. "I can snog whoever I want. It's not like I'm interested in him at all."

"Oh, really? Because he's standing outside the common room with a bouquet of roses."

Aria's heart skipped a beat at those words, she felt her face heat up and she jumped to her feet. "Really?"

"No!" Anna folded her arms, her eyes narrowing. "I knew you liked him."

Aria sat down again in a huff. "I do not."

"Well, regardless... I saw Cedric fuming at breakfast, I reckon he's heard the news."

"He saw the paper?" The Slytherin Weekly was exclusively for Slytherin eyes, nobody belonging to any other house could read it unless permission was granted by the editor.

"Matilda wasted no time when she shoved it into his face. Don't act surprised, as if this wasn't your plan all along-make Cedric jealous."

Aria grumbled at her best friend's ability to always be right in every situation. But of course, leave it to Matilda to have all the fun. Aria was looking forward to seeing the expression on Cedric's face when she showed him the clipping. She stood up, grabbing her robes. "Well, I'm off to study." Exams were in three days, Aria had more important things to focus on than boys.

"I'll come with you to make sure you don't get trapped between Weasley and a wall."

"You don't have to worry about that," Aria assured her friend as they left the common room. "He wasn't even a good kisser."

That of course, was a lie.

ϟ

The exams had ended, Aria passing each one with flying colors and coming top of her class for each subject.

"This assembly better be quick, I have things to do before I get home!" Anna grumbled, reminding Aria that they planned to stalk one particular fourth year that Anna fancied before they left.

A week and a bit had passed since the scandal and people were still in shock that Aria would stoop so low as to kiss a sworn enemy of her house. Usually, something else would have made the headlines by the time a week had passed, but Aria assumed that everybody was too busy with exams to do anything interesting.

She sat with Anna, listening intently (or at least pretending to) as Dumbeldore spoke. Her eyes wandered the room, landing on Cedric. She grimaced and looked away.

The Hufflepuff boy had said some particularly hurtful things to her a few days after she had "cheated" and had gone around making himself seem like the victim.

She turned back to Anna and Madison who were gushing over the Slytherin banners indicating that their house had won. A wonderful sight, really. All of Slytherin had a smile on their face, even her father who hadn't so much as congratulated her on her top marks.

"Another year gone," Dumbeldore said. "And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding and the points stand thus." He mentioned each house and their points, finally making it to Slytherin who was in first place with four hundred and twenty-six points. Cheers sounded around the table. "Yes, yes... well done, Slytherin, well done, Slytherin. However..."

Aria and Anna shared the same look as Dumbeldore slowly brought Gryffindor to first place by awarding them with points for things he probably sucked out of his thumb.

"What recent events is the old fool talking about?" Aria snapped to Anna who glared at the Headmaster.

"Heard something about Potter and his friends stopping a theft. They deserve a pat on the back and nothing more. This is rubbish!" She yelled the last part loud enough for the entire hall to hear, although no one paid her any mind as the banners above changed from brilliant emerald green to haunting yellow and red shades to celebrate Gryffindors' victory.

"He pulled those points out of his arse!" Aria complained, receiving a nod from Malfoy who sat across from her.

Aria glanced to her father who seemed even more bothered than usual with the familiar grimace that was enough to make a first-year run back home plastered across his face. Aria gulped, the holidays were not going to be fun.

"Malfoy."

The blond looked at her curiously.

"Can I stay with you over the holidays? Only for a while... Please."

He nodded eagerly. "Oh, Merlin, please. All my mum ever talks about is when is Aria coming for a visit? You'll do my ears one heck of a favor if you stay over."

Aria smiled in thanks. Well, that sorted that out.

Before she could even glance at her father, Anna was pulling her out of the hall by her robes, after the fourth year boy who looked back and fastened his pace.

All in all, Aria decided, her third year hadn't been half bad.