30

Chapter Thirty

ARIA SAT IN Professor Snape's classroom, sorting through potion ingredients and arranging them neatly into the storage area. It was all part of the punishment, although, seeing the different ingredients and cauldrons and things any other fourth year would only ever dream of seeing was all very interesting. Aside from being starving and sweaty, she hardly considered it a punishment.

She wanted to head down for dinner, but Professor Snape had clearly instructed that an overly large box of bat wings were to be arranged according to weight and labeled before she could leave.

She groaned as she heaved the heavy box onto the top shelf. That was another one of her father's rules for this punishment-no magic.

She stretched out her arms after having finished and wiped her robes to free them from the dust that had gathered. She locked up the storage area and began to wander down to the Great Hall, hoping she would make it in time to grab the last few morsels.

Aria stopped in her tracks as she noticed a large crowd gathered just around the corner and as she got closer, she came to realize that it was probably more than half the school that were crowding around something. She pushed her way to the front of the crowd.

The Chamber of Secrets has been opened... Enemies of the heir... beware.

She gulped, it was written in blood and as she turned, the most horrific sight of Filch's cat hung by her tail caught Aria's eye. She held back her lunch and turned away.

She was alarmed, watching as Filch tried to claw at Potter. It was obvious that people suspected him by the way they watched him, but that was absurd. How could a second-year Gryffindor be responsible for something like this?

"Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately," Dumbeldore called. "Everyone except... you three."

Aria glanced over her shoulder as she slipped around the corner, snorting as she saw who the lucky three were. Potter and his friends. It was almost a pity.

She raced down to the common room, glad to reach the door and, even though she would never admit it, glad to be safe for she was scared to her core.

"What about you, Snape?" The sound of Matilda's bothersome voice reached her ears as she stepped into the common room.

"What about me, Spencer?" She stepped forward, ready for anything Matilda was about to throw at her. She analyzed her enemy, taking in the greasy black waves on her head that fell to below her elbows, the rimmed glasses that covered half her face, and that ridiculously large nose. There was nothing even remotely appealing about her-her appearance paired with a rock for a personality made her possibly the most irritating person to exist. At least she was a pureblood, that's what she told everyone anyway.

"You were nowhere to be seen during dinner. I bet you're behind this-wanted to get back at Filch for taking you to your father's office and getting you in trouble. I should report you to Dumbeldore right this instant."

"Stupid hag!" Aria snapped. "I was serving detention because you don't know when to keep your mouth shut and sometimes I feel it fitting to remind you. So no, I wasn't on a cat-killing spree, I was in my father's classroom, sorting bat wings. Bloody nosy rat!"

She shrugged, pressing her glasses up the bridge of her nose with her forefinger and puckered her lips in a way that made her resemble a fish. "Regardless, you're still our number one suspect. Best believe this will be in the Slytherin Weekly."

"You have no proof." Aria was almost grateful that she didn't have her wand on her, she'd be serving another month's worth of detention if she did.

Matilda smiled. "We don't need proof. With your reputation and a death eater for a father, you could easily be the menace behind this little stunt. Should I list the reasons as to why? Or are you going to try and turn me into a worm again?" She let out a shrill laugh and turned towards the staircase, obviously proud of herself.

Aria slipped out of her robe and rolled the sleeves of her jersey past her elbows. "Hey, Matilda." She marched towards her. "Say what you want about me." She took another step forward, "but keep my father's name out of your filthy mouth." She swung at Matilda, her fist colliding with the girl's jaw, a cracking sound reverberating around the room. "Do I make myself clear?"

A few tears slipped from Matilda's eyes as she cradled the side of her face. "You're a monster!" She cried and ran to her dorm room. Madison followed and then Anna, who sent her a particularly disapproving scowl.

Aria stretched out her fingers, glaring at the crowd that had gathered and watched as they slowly dispersed.

Without a hint of remorse in her heart, Aria picked up her robes, smiled at those who were still staring at her in awe, and climbed the stairs to her dorm, not worried for the consequences that were sure to come.