i. dinner dates and neckties

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒖𝒔𝒕, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒖𝒔𝒕, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter one, DINNER DATES AND NECKTIES

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     "YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME."

     Bronwyn Ward, still sixteen years of age, had her mouth hanging open, her bottom row of teeth peering past her lips, and her legs crossed, as she stared at her mother, an array of disbelief crowning her face.

     As the summer of nineteen seventy-seven drew to a close, one filled with business plans and possibly too many baking sessions than Bronwyn cared to admit, Niamh and Henry Ward, more specifically Niamh, wanted to initiate their daughter into the wonders of her final year at Hogwarts with a "special" dinner out, that wasn't that "out" at all.

     With her birthday fast approaching and her chances to spend time with her parents quickly evaporating, Mr. and Mrs. Ward wanted to make the most of the last seven days before Bronwyn would be gone for four months, by which her eighteenth birthday would be no more than a distant right of passage that would cloud her memory with distractions from the much closer Christmas that she would much rather think about.

     Bronwyn was never one for big, over-the-top birthday celebrations. She was never one for birthday celebrations full stop. Bronwyn asked her mother what was so significant about the concept of birthdays whenever Mrs. Ward became more enthusiastic towards her daughter's birthday than Bronwyn did towards her own. Bronwyn always thought that a day dedicated to yourself was honestly quite self-involved.

     Onto this "dinner out" that's not much of a "dinner out" at all, Niamh Ward's childhood and Wizarding school best friend had contacted Niamh about Bronwyn's birthday, and in response, Niamh was quick to suggest that she and her immediate family could join them for dinner, and celebrate Bronwyn's "almost birthday" together.

     Bronwyn had nothing against either of her parent's friends, and it was typical for this British family to enjoy meals and days out with more than just three of them. Bronwyn's annoyance had not sprung because the dinner was tonight and this was the first time Bronwyn had heard of it. Nor was it because Bronwyn never particularly enjoyed making such a huge fuss surrounding her birthday and now she was doing just that but with more people on top of that. But because it was which of her mother's friends, and who in turn that meant would come along as well, that were to be joining them that same evening, to share a Sunday Roast with that tipped Bronwyn off the most.

     "Now, now Bronwyn," Niamh tutted, "no need for such vulgar language." her mother said.

     Bronwyn uncrossed her legs, stretching them out in front of her, with hopes the blood would start flowing again. She rolled her eyes; her mother had always been one to overreact to matters circling cursing, "Oh please."