xv. birthdays and boyfriends

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter fifteen, BIRTHDAYS AND BOYFRIENDS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

          TUESDAY. THE 26TH OF SEPTEMBER. Bronwyn's eighteenth birthday.

          James had always seen Bronwyn's birthday as a means for amusement in the past. A day dedicated to humiliating her in every way he could think of because all the attention was supposed to be on her and he knew her far too well to waste the opportunity to bring up embarrassing memories from their childhood.

          But today was different. He felt that a lot was riding on this particular birthday. Not only was it her eighteenth (even though turning seventeen is more important in the Wizarding World), granting her the legal ability to drink alcohol and vote in funny Muggle elections, but he was supposed to be her boyfriend. And he needed to pay extra care and attention in preparation for the day it's his real girlfriend's birthday (he is confident this will be Lily Evans, of course).

          But for James' roommates, Sirius, Remus and Peter, Tuesday the 26th of September meant absolutely nothing to them. In fact, they were hardly happy because it was pie day at dinner.

          "Weather's supposed to be good today so we were thinking about a swim in the Black Lake at lunch?" Sirius said as he stood in the mirror, taking minimal care at tying his tie.

          James was waiting for something like this to happen. For his friends to make plans that he couldn't attend. More specifically, for Sirius to make plans. And James was done defending his actions; he was still waiting for Sirius to grow up.

          "Can we do that after school?" James asked simply, bending over to tie his shoe and also to check on the present and baked goods hidden under his bed. The dessert hadn't been there very long at all but his paranoid mind needed to confirm rats hadn't infested his room and that he will still do right by Bronwyn.

          "Sun goes down early," Remus shrugged, a toothbrush hanging loosely in his mouth. "It's better at lunch anyway, means we can take food down there too."

          James kept his head bowed to the floor as he spoke. "I'm busy at lunch."

          "With what, homework?" Sirius scoffed as if the idea was completely absurd.

          James said the first thing that he believed wouldn't arouse too much suspicion. "Quidditch practice."

          "You only ever practice after school?" Peter questioned, although, in his defence, Peter didn't sound half as accusatory as Sirius would say those words. He meant well. Even when James' prediction of no suspicion came up very wrong.