viii. slug club and lily evans

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter eight, SLUG CLUB AND LILY EVANS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     "WHERE THE FUCK WAS MY INVITE?"

Andromeda Black had no undying love for Potions but upon finding out about Professor Slughorn's "Club for Special Students" of which did not include her, she was pissed.

Bronwyn had, in fact, received an invite to the Slug Club dinner party that was being held in the Potions Master's office the following evening, and now tried her best to hide the personal, handwritten letter, informing her of her invitation, as best she could beneath her fingers. "Maybe if you handed your assignments on time, you'd get one."

Andromeda's face creased in confusion, her eyebrows knitting together, with genuine puzzlement. "I'm a great student," she said, truly believing her own words.

Bronwyn absently hummed as she stared down at her invitation, while Andromeda strolled away, muttering uninterested words that sounded a little like "whatever". She heard the creaking of Andy's bed under her weight, even if she was only vaguely aware of her surroundings.

Bronwyn knew she was a good student, but she hates social events. It wasn't like she didn't feel as though she deserved to be there ─ she's rather gifted when it came to Potions and the snake emblem on her chest boosted her rank even if Slughorn won't admit it out loud ─ because self-satisfaction isn't a stranger to Bronwyn. But, unlike some (cough, cough James Potter), she doesn't go walking around verbalising all of her amazing achievements.

     What were they supposed to do at this dinner anyway? Laugh about how impressively fast they brewed their last potion? Belittle the people who didn't make it to their snobbish, aristocratic country club? Joke about the horrendous thought of getting a mark anywhere below 80%?

Maybe Bronwyn was being a little harsh when it came to Slughorn's intentions ─ he was a sweet guy, all in all ─ but, if you asked Bronwyn, it was simply fuel for an already thriving superiority complex.

Bronwyn had to go ─ it was only right. Besides, what excuse would she make instead? Didn't feel well? Bronwyn never got sick. Had lots of homework? Knowing Slughorn, he'd probably write a letter to all of her professors excusing her of the work, and she couldn't have that. She'll go, it's not that big of a deal. Maybe it'll be over in an hour or two. It's extra brownie points from her Potions professor anyway, what's the harm done?

Bronwyn grabbed a spare piece of parchment from her bedside table, dapped her dry quill in her pot of ink, and began scribbling down the names of students she expected to be there. It was a little game, a test of her knowledge of her classmates. Who did Horace Slughorn love the most?