xiii. first dates and compliments

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter thirteen, FIRST DATES AND COMPLIMENTS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

"YOU'RE LATE."

"It's been thirty seconds."

"Thirty seconds late."

The west wing courtyard was bustling with students now that the school day was over. Cheery chatter floated alongside the waving robes as pupils hurried off to common rooms and Quidditch practices. Bronwyn was waiting for James on a wooden bench, one leg crossed over the other. He now stood in front of her, eyes narrowed, blocking the blaring September sun from her view.

"I'm not sure we ever actually set an exact time?" James cocked one head to the side as he stared down at the composed Slytherin, his hands behind his back.

Bronwyn pushed off from the bench, causing James to stumble backwards to give her room. "I said meet me here after fifth," she said. "Which ended thirty seconds ago."

"I had-"

James' mouth merely hung open as Bronwyn finished for him with a tilted head. "A free period?"

James straightened up as he gave a different answer, grateful to prove her wrong. "To go to the toilet."

"You should have left time for your urinating. This is serious business, as you well know," she said, causing James to nod his head frantically just to make sure she didn't get any other ideas.

An awkward silence prevailed as James' eyes wandered to the basket that sat underneath the bench and Bronwyn focused on the way his arms were disappearing behind his back.

Shaking her head to clear it, Bronwyn put on a bright face. "Nevermind that. Let's get to it."

Just as she was ducking down to retrieve the basket from the floor, James finally revealed why his hands had been swallowed by his behind. "Oh, these are for you."

When Bronwyn stood up straight, she was met with a bouquet of flowers shoved in her face, James hidden by the chaotic array of colours.

She fumbled her way around the brown paper packaging and found his arm, which she then pushed down so she would feel less suffocated by the arrangement of flowers. "What is that?" She asked, her head tilting to his supposed gift.

James folded his lips inwards and gave her a look of mocking disappointment. "Your ego is far too large for a girl that can't even identify a bouquet of flowers, Bronwyn."

Bronwyn breathed in but didn't let it out until she had spoken, in hopes of not coming across like an ungrateful bitch. "No, I mean, why have you got them?"