ix. lost causes and game plans

the girlfriend experience, james potter
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

the girlfriend experience, james potter𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟕

chapter nine, LOST CAUSES AND GAME PLANS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     "IT'S GENIUS IF YOU ASK ME."

     "Shut up, Peter."

     James scratched his head as he tried to process what he was hearing. His oldest friend . . . an entrepreneur genius. And he had no idea. "Can we recap please?" he asked, rubbing the heel of his hands against his eyes so that his glasses popped up onto the top of his head.

     Sirius sighed ─ he was the only one out of his friends that didn't agree with telling James about Bronwyn Ward's Girlfriend Experience ─ and cleared his throat, "People pay Bronwyn for her to date them for a week so they can get used to the "dating lifestyle"," he said tiredly, making air quotes with his fingers.

     James blinked at his dark-haired friend, almost waiting for the part where one of them tells him they made it all up. "Bronwyn?"

     "Yes," Peter nodded.

     "Bronwyn Ward?"

     "Yes."

     "The one my mum still thinks I'm going to marry?"

     Peter cocked his head to the side, "Yes?"

     James couldn't quite tell whether it was the person involved or the thing she does that baffled him more. "She dates people to give them experience?" He hadn't so much as moved from where he sat crossed-legged on his bed, staring up at Sirius and Peter as they both explained to James Bronwyn's business. Because apparently, he hadn't heard of it. And dumping all of that information onto him now all at once wasn't helping his overloaded brain comprehend what he was hearing.

     Peter nodded his head once, almost like a punctuation stamp, "That's right."

     James tilted his head to the ceiling, his forehead creasing, the dents slowly deepening as he thought about the information some more. "Strange objective, don't you think?" he asked his friends.

     Remus shrugged from where he was hunched down over a book. He didn't look up as he spoke, "She's rich Prongs, don't question her business concept."

     James hadn't decided what he thought about this Girlfriend Experience his friends were telling him about. He didn't have an exact number on how much Bronwyn was making from this, nor did he have any references from past customers, so frankly he didn't even know if it was successful or not. He was still stuck on the fact that it was Bronwyn Ward for him to be able to evaluate the rest of it.

     The second most puzzling part about this all though? How did he not know about it, but everyone around him apparently did? "Okay," he drawled, "but how do you all know about this?"