Chillax, Barbie

Hey my name is Ari and I'm an astronaut and teacher and explorer and I cured cancer and a doctor and and and and and-

________

Hey friends! So today I'll be talking to you about a chronic condition among fictional characters-Barbie Doll Syndrome.

Now, this isn't the one where your character is obsessed with looking like a Barbie doll. No, this version is where your character has roughly 4236567687546323445677873523 professions, skills, achievements, ect.

And they are good at all of them.

The last part is crucial. In the comments I'm going to post a link to a website that lists every single profession Barbie has ever had. And if your character has even a fraction of this many-because holy shit there are tons-you need to rethink your character.

We don't wanna be a Barbie, now do we?

Thought so.

However, there is most certainly a flip side to this. because while nobody is good at everything, everyone has to be good at something. Just think of people in your real life for example. Like I'm good at acting, but I can't draw. One of my friends is a fantastic artist, but she's horrible at math. My boyfriend is a serial procrastinator and can't manage time, but he's awesome at video games. There's a balance, but as long as you monitor yourself and plan characters beforehand, you should be able to achieve this balance really easily.

But yeah, I'm not gonna write an example of doing it correctly, because it's a simple concept; nobody is good at everything.

And if they are good at everything, they may be the M-word I'm ranting about next time.

Sorry for the shorter chapter, but it's a simple concept with no real need to be stretched out. Have you ever accidentally made a barbie like character? I totally have. They're common in younger writers, or ones that have just begun writing. Vote if you liked this rant, and as always, thanks for reading!