Alarm Clocks

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP-
I hit the snooze button with a groan, trying not to open my gorgeous blue and grey flecked orbs. I finally sat up anyway, glaring at the cursed machine called an alarm clock. My blonde hair fell perfectly into place as I-

-----

Please excuse my lack of updating. It kinda is just no, especially for such an easy book to write, when you consider how many things I hate. (All of the things.)

Anyway, my rant today is on; alarm clocks.

I hate it when you start a book with your main character waking up to an alarm clock. And it's always that one that goes BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! To some extent I could even say that it confuses me. It's kind of a sucky way to start a story, but we'll get to that a tiny bit later. Anyway, cell phones all have bult in alarm clocks, and almost none of the alarm options are just straight up beeping. They're mostly cute little songs instead!!

That after a day get just as annoying because honestly, who wants to hear that sort of shit at five 'o clock in the morning anyway? I'd rather not hear anything.

Personally, my alarm-when I have to use one-is the Tenth Doctor's theme song from my favorite show, Doctor Who. (Shhhhh I know it's lame but bear with me for a second. This is going somewhere, kinda.) My alarm reminds me of something I love, so therefore in theory I'll wake up happy and be more willing to get out of bed. Except that doesn't happen. Because I'm a teenager. It's my job to be bitter.

Kidding.

On the other hand my older brother has a nightstand-type alarm clock instead of one on his phone. Therefore his actually does do the whole annoying beeping thing. But even when using this sound is necessary, we could still try to switch it up a little. For example he always just leaves his on snooze, so when it's time to catch the bus he always has a dash back upstairs to cut it off. Maybe have your character's alarm clock go off when they walk out the door instead, as new twist.

Not only is it unoriginal, it's a bad way to begin your story in general. It's boring and doesn't work as a good hook. To be honest it sorta turns me off to the whole story in general. While I think that if we could make it a tiny more original, we could use it in small doses, for now I think it's best if we leave this cliche in our rough drafts. 

Have you guys ever read stories where they used this to introduce us to the action? Do you use alarm clocks, and if so, is it the stereotypical beeping or something a little different? Let me know down in the comment section, vote if you agree with anything I brought up, and as always thank you for reading!