vi. sacrifices

vi. sacrifices
randvi

KAZ AND RANDVI spent most of their walk towards the market in silence.

Whilst Randvi usually feared silence as it left her alone with only her wandering thoughts as company, she was grateful for the lack of conversation that day. Kaz had not once asked about her reaction to the Drüskelle, and the longer she could keep him from asking, the better.

When they finally reached Novokribirsk they were met by a wondrous sight. The market place was bustling with life. Ravkans passed by carrying baskets of grains, stopping mid walk to talk to friends and vendors. They passed rows of vibrant spices, curtains of silk, and stacks of fresh vegetables. Unfortunately, as was the pattern with war, no one seemed interested in spending what little money they had on silks and exotic spices.

It wasn't the Ravka she remembered as a girl. The place had grown, and bustled with excitement, and hope. The West had prospered in the recent years, but Randvi doubted the East shared in this wealth. Perhaps if Randvi had settled in West Ravka her life would have been better, but only the gods knew the answer to that.

As they weaved through crowds of Ravkans, the sweet scent of toffee and sugar hung in the air, making Randvi's stomach growl. She hadn't realised just how hungry she was until her eyes landed on a stall filled with sweet treats. She offered a smile to the vendor, an old women with greying hair, and picked up a handful of sugar coated figs, tossing a few coins to the lady. She didn't spare another second gawking at the treats, and began stuffing them into her mouth two at a time, her fingers growing sticky.

Besides the sweet stall lay an old carpet, covered in dust, housing small tourist trinkets. There were maps, small wooden statues, and piles of bones allegedly belonging to some of Ravka's saints. Yet more worshipping of false idols, of frauds.

"You know," Randvi began, wiping her sticky hands on her clothes. "We should make an offering to the gods before we travel through the fold, and ask for their protection."

"Great idea." kaz replied sarcastically. "Why don't you sacrifice the goat?"

"How about we sacrifice you?" Huffed Randvi, picking up her speed to walk ahead of Kaz.

The two spent the rest of their walk in silence, which Randvi was sure Kaz was grateful for. The only times he spoke to her it would comprise of metaphors, riddles, or sarcastic comments aiming to poke fun at her. It was times like these when she found herself looking forwards to killing Kaz, just so she wouldn't have to deal with his arrogance.

Yet, with every huff at his snark remarks, she couldn't help but smile. She was torn between laughing and punching him. Perhaps she should do both.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, they came across rows of pens housing sheep, cows, chickens, and goats. Feeling a grin crawl on her lips, Randvi immediately walked over to a pen, gently stroking above the nose of a brown cow.