xlvii. emerald dreams

– Randvi

THE WIND HOWLED gently against Randvi's ears, a cold spell settling over Ketterdam. It reminded her of home, of the childhood she'd once had back in Fjerda. It seemed strange now that she once lived a peaceful life, one where she did not fear what the next day brought.

She longed to be the shy, starving girl she had once been. Life had not been perfect, but at least she had been living, not just existing.

The gods blessed you with life; a life you must live, her mother had once told her as they sat besides the fire, after all, you need stories to recite in the next life.

I'm going to tell father about how good a hunter I am, Eivor replied and Randvi had rolled her eyes, and how many drüsje I kill.

Had the signs been there all along? Had it always been fated that Eivor would betray her? And how long had Eivors death been fated?

Randvi once believed the gods had fated her to die at the hands of the drüskelle, and perhaps that had been her fate. Perhaps she had fought against her fate, after all, it could be done.

Am I going to die? Randvi asked her mother one night as they lay hidden in the corner of an abandoned wooden cabin, hiding from the drüskelle.

You are not going to die, my Rúna. You will lead a long and happy life. You will go on adventures, and meet the strangest of people on your travels. You will have a thousand tales to tell when we meet again in the next world, the gods have willed it so.

Her mother had been wrong. All the gods had willed was a life of cruelty and fear.

"We're here,"

The boat rocked to a halt, knocking against the canal wall gently. Jakov placed his oar down into the boat, casting her an uneasy look. The sun had barely begun to rise, a gentle pink filling the sky above her, the Ketterdam smog obscuring most of it.

You'll stay here, Kaz had warned her, but to hell with his orders.

If Kaz was entitled to his vengeance, and could come and go as he pleased, then Randvi would do the same. It hadn't taken much to convince Jakov to join her. They'd slipped away soon after Inej an Kaz left, and the others had been sound asleep.

Jakov leaped up onto the cobbled streets, offering Randvi a hand up. The city was silent, eerily silent. She nodded once, and the pair slipped their way through West Stave, past gambling dens that were beginning to open and draw in a new group of unsuspecting pigeons.

"Before," Randvi began, her voice quiet. "When you said you had a promise you intended to keep, did you really mean that?"

"Of course."