vii. a scar on the map

— Kaz

NIGHT HAD FALLEN, and the city of Novokribirsk was plunged into darkness, with only the flickering light of lanterns and candles illuminating the town. The fold could barely be spotted at night, its shadows blending into the twilight. The only evidence of it was the lack of twinkling stars, and a sudden end to the moons light.

Kaz stood mere feet away from the fold, unable to tear his eyes from it. There was a rumbling sound coming from within, flashes of dull light crashing overhead.

"It's one thing hearing about it." Inej began as she followed the conductor, her eyes fixed on the blanket of darkness ahead. "But this is-"

"Nothing compared to what lies within."

Kaz wasn't afraid, he was never afraid. But, he finally understood Randvi's fear. He had rolled his eyes weeks ago when she'd cowered at the idea of having to cross it again - now he understood.

She wasn't afraid of the dark, but what creeped within, hiding in the shadows.

Even if Randvi claimed it was the gods protection that had saved her, Kaz knew it was mere luck. Speaking of Randvi, she was nowhere to be seen, and neither was Jesper. He should have known this would have happened. For all Kaz knew she was as high as a kite, lying in a ditch somewhere far away.

"So, goat, jurda .. thank you." Arken huffed, out of breath after having pulled a train from thin air. "Now we're just waiting on-"

Then a gun shot rang through the air. The three of them spun to look over their shoulders, and saw a sea of light swimming towards them, Jesper's shouts echoing in the night.

"Wait for me!" Jesper's words were cut short by another series of gun shots.

"They can't see the train." Arken panicked, snatching the rope attached to the goat and pulling it inside the train.

"Jesper get here now!" Kaz shouted, humiliation washing over him at the sound of panic in his voice. Where the hell was Randvi?

She was predictable, too predictable, and that's what made it so hard for him to keep track of her. He had become too used to dealing with the unpredictable in Ketterdam.

She had to be with Jesper. He hated to admit it, but without Randvi the three dregs would get nowhere. They needed her nack for fortune telling, and for her to confirm his suspicions of the conductor. Kaz didn't believe in saints and gods, but he believed in her, and the thought revolted him.

"Leave the lantern!" Shouted Inej, taking a few steps closer to Jesper in hopes of encouraging him.

"Landmines!" Jesper pointed towards a sign they'd passed earlier, two bags of coal in his hands. Well, at least he had the coal.