xlvi. the wraith returns

– Randvi

          RANDVI COULDN'T SLEEP.

It didn't seem to matter how hard she squeezed her eyes shut, or how much she willed herself to drift away into a peaceful dream land, nothing seemed to happen.

Every time she closed her eyes she heard the faint dripping of blood against marble tiles, the still body of her brother lying just beyond her reach. She would be the one to bare the burden of taking Eivor's life. That was fate.

If the gods willed her to be haunted by his ghost, what could Randvi do to stop that?

But wasn't this what she wanted? Randvi was owed vengeance, the chance to win back the honour her brother had robbed her of. It was always going to end with one of them dead.

There was still a part of her that wished Eivor had been different, that there was some good in him after all.

Randvi could feel Jakov's stare on her back. Had she fooled him into thinking she had been sleeping all this time? Or was he smarter than she'd first thought?

"You aren't fooling anyone." She heard him whisper, but pretended to be asleep nevertheless.

"Leave me to wallow in peace, please," She managed to whisper back.

"Good luck with that, we have visitors."

Randvi shot up from the spread of hard blankets she'd been lying on just as the door to the tomb swung open. Inej skidded to a halt, a beaming smile on her chapped lips, Kaz looming behind her.

"Inej!" Both she and Nina shrieked.

She flew across the room and pulled Inej into a tight hug. The weight on her shoulders all seemed to lift at once, her heart steady once more. Inej was the glue binding their group of misfits together, the beating heart that kept them going. Randvi was certain another day without the Wraith and they would have fallen apart.

"The Wraith returns!" Jesper shouted, clapping Inej on the back.

Kaz rapped his cane on the stone floor. He was standing in the doorway to the tomb. "If everyone is done cuddling, we have a job to do."

"It's nice to see you too, Kaz." Randvi crossed her arms.

There was no missing the small smile Kaz had intended to hide. "My darling Randvi, Queen of Queens, I am honoured to see you again."

Randvi ignored the sarcasm in his words.

"Hold up," said Jesper, arm still slung around Inej. "We're not talking about the job until we figure out what those things were on the Stave."

"What things?" asked Inej.

"Did you miss half the Stave blowing up?"

"We saw the bomb at the White Rose go off," said Inej, "and then we heard another explosion."