xxx. better to speak or to die?

– Kaz

THE moment Kaz was hauled from the incinerator shaft onto the roof, he flopped on his back, gulping for air.

His leg ached more than ever, the sprints down flight after flight of stairs having only worsened the pain. He missed the comfort his cane brought him, and he missed Ketterdam.

"Where's Randvi?" He gasped, his chest heaving as he brought himself back onto two feet. "Where's Inej and Nina?"

"Already on the embassy roof," Replied Matthias.

"Leave this rope and take the rest," Kaz said. "Let's move."

He needed to see Randvi, to know she was still alive and okay. And yet the thought of seeing her made his heart flutter, but for all the wrong reasons.

He had come back for her, he had kept a promise he had broken too many times, only it was too late now. Did he expect her to be grateful? He had been too busy searching for Pekka to have been there for her.

Kaz walked to the lip of the roof where Inej had secured a tether of rope that ran from the top of the prison to the embassy sector roof below. A sling had also been rigged up by someone, for anyone who couldn't defy gravity like the Wraith did.

He slid down the rope, ungracefully as ever.

The roof on the embassy was curved to keep the snow off. It was packed with multiple points of entry – vents, chimneys, glass domes designed to let in the light. Nina, Inej and Randvi were tucked up against the base of the biggest dome, a skylight that overlooked the embassy's entry rotunda. It didn't offer much shelter from the dwindling rain, and even from where he stood he could see Randvi shivering.

But then he saw something else, another figure amongst them, talking to Nina and pointing to Inej's feet.

"I can't get all the rubber off her heels," Nina said as he approached her.

"Jesper, help her. Who the hell is this?" Kaz hissed, his patience wearing thin, tired of endless planning and failure.

The boy straightened himself as Kaz lunged for him, stepping backwards as he made to grab him. This wasn't a Grisha rescue operation, but he shouldn't have expected anything different from Nina. Everything came back to Grisha, to saving the world and everyone in it. Some righteous stunt she's pulling now. They didn't have time for this.

"Kaz. Kaz! Don't touch him, he's with me."

Randvi appeared from nowhere, placing herself between him and the boy. So now Randvi wanted to play saviour? And for someone she didn't even know. Why was the girl so focused on only saving herself now looking out for strangers?