xii. kill of the night

Randvi

SECRETS DO NOT stay secrets, that is what Randvi's mother had always taught her. There are no secrets that time does not reveal, nothing can hide forever.

It was a mantra her mother had never actually lived by. Since the moment Randvi was born, her mother had become obsessed with keeping her a secret, and when that failed, keeping the gift she posted a secret.

Nothing good came from secrets, something she'd quickly learnt after loosing her mother and meeting Kaz. Secrets made you vulnerable to blackmail, easily manipulatable.

The Darkling's secret must have weighed heavily on his shoulders, a burden he was forced to carry every day of his long life. But now he had someone to share the burden with, someone else to help carry the weight.

Randvi tried not to think too much about what had happened back at the Little Palace. She had spent most of the time travelling back towards the Fold asleep in the carriage, or sat silently watching the world pass. She no longer wanted to listen to Jesper's jokes, or Inej's wise Suli proverbs. She wanted to be alone.

She wanted to go home. Be it Fjerda or Ketterdam, or even Noyvi Zem, she didn't care. She just wanted to be far away.

When the four crows arrived in Ryevost, Randvi had been dragged from inside the carriage to stand in the bitter cold and stare at a trunk. According to Jesper, Alina had climbed inside the trunk in the Little Palace. It was hard to believe, and in truth Randvi no longer cared if they had the sun summoner.

If Alina was in the trunk, Randvi would kill her the moment she stepped out. If not, they could carry on their journey home. Either way, she was tired of a life of crime. She'd seen enough to last her a lifetime. She wanted to go somewhere far away and forget the world.

Then, without warning, the lock from the trunk shot towards the four, landing with a clatter at Randvi's feet. Sure enough, just as Jesper had explained, the lid swung open to reveal non other than Alina Starkov.

She slowly climbed out, jumping to the ground with her hands held out in surrender. She looked like a deer that had been caught by it's prey, her eyes wide.

"We don't want any trouble." Said Jesper calmly, but Randvi noticed a hand resting on his pistol.

"Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way." Alina took a few steps to the side, trying to make her get away until Kaz stopped her, cane blocking her path.

"Clearly you want out of East Ravka. But we can help you. We have a secure route through the fold."

"I prefer to travel alone."

"Just kill her where she stands." Snapped Randvi, throwing her head back in frustration. "I'm sure we'll still be able to fetch a good price for her head."