xiii. broken promises

— Randvi

RANDVI WAS DREAMING of Fjerda, again.

She dreamt of the luscious green forests filled with tall pine trees and the whistling songs of birds. She could feel the crunch of leaves and sticks beneath her feet, the brush of pine needles against her skin as she crouched behind a tree stump. Somewhere in the distance she could hear her brother call out to her with a laugh, as though they were children again playing a game of hide and seek.

But all too soon the sunlight creeping from beneath the trees disappeared, along with the sound of laughter and birds. Instead, in its place Randvi saw nothing but a black sky filled with the faint twinkle of stars. A thick blanket of snow hid what had once been meadows and bustling forests. A bitter wind nipped at her skin, snow filling her eyes, and freezing her clothes.

She was back in the nightmares that haunted her every day. The nightmares that she'd awake from with a jolt, a layer of sweat coating her body. Although, she could always escape those nightmares, always waking in the comfort of her room, wrapped up in a pile of blankets far from the cold.

Only this time she couldn't wake up, no matter how much she tried. She was forced to relive the moment her life had ended, forced to witness the memory she'd tried so hard to forget.

The storm howled, whistling against Randvi's ears, her skin being battered with snow, as though she were being picked by a thousand needles. Yet, despite the numbing cold of the snow beneath her body, she lay as still as she could, not daring to move.

She watched as a sea of light illuminated the area around her home, the glow of touches glistening against the fallen snow. She lay hidden in the darkness, with only the stars to watch over her.

Then, she heard the shouts, but could only place one of the voices - her mother's.

"Where is she." Growled a distant voice.

"I don't know who you're talking about."

"Check the house again. And the fields out back. I'm not leaving without her."

Randvi immediately rolled onto her back, lying herself as flat as she could. Her breathing grew deep, her body shaking from the bitter cold of the night and fear of being found. The twinkling stars above her offered no comfort, instead she squeezed her eyes shut, praying the nightmare would end.

The gods couldn't abandon her now, not when she needed them most. She was being hunted for possessing their gift, even if the druskelle sought to punish her, the gods wouldn't. Would they?

The sound of footsteps crunching in the snow made Randvi's ears prick up, but they grew louder and closer, rather than fainter. She held her breath.