xxxi. the seas of fate

– Randvi

WHAT had Kaz wanted her to know?

She ought to have waited one more second, hesitated for just another moment, and maybe she would have known. Randvi had a thousand questions, all of which might never receive an answer, not with the plan that had been concocted last minute.

The truth was, she was terrified. The drüskelle had caught her once today, and now it was known she was missing, they would be searching every inch of the Ice Court. They would not stop until they found her, until they watched the life drain from her.

But there was one thing working in her favour – the drüskelle never suspect their own. It was a belief shared by the entirety of Fjerda, the blind trust placed in those closest to you. You would never suspect you own blood of betrayal, your brothers to plot against you.

Randvi joined Nina and Inej at the edge of the dome. It was shallow and made of glass, beneath it a mosaic of two wolves chasing each other, destined to move in circles, hidden behind flashes of partygoers. It was like the wolves from the stories her mother had told her as a child.

Two wolves run in circles in the sky, one chasing the moon, the other the sun. They run in circles, day and night, for an eternity, never growing any closer to devouring the sun or moon. Until, one day, they catch their prey, the sky darkens, and with it comes the end of the world. Her mother had once told her if she looked hard enough into the night sky, she would see the wolf chasing the moon.

"You don't have to do this, you know," Nina said to Inej. "You don't have to put those silks on again."

"I've done worse."

"I know. You scaled six storeys of hell for us."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know that too," Nina hesitated. "Is the haul so important to you?"

The Elderclock began to chime in the distance.

"I'm not sure why I began this," Inej admitted. "But I know I have to finish. I know why fate brought me here, why it placed me in the path of this prize."

"And what does fate have in store for you, Randvi?" Nina asked.

But Randvi paused, gaze stuck to the wolves below the glass dome. No thoughts entered her mind, even the dream of a farm somewhere far away no longer appealed to her. For the first time, she felt blind, as though her power had been taken from her.

"I don't know anymore," Randvi admitted. "I just want to know what happened to my brother, and then ... I don't know."

"You'll always be welcome in Ravka."