xvi. sankta alina

xvi. sankta alina
Randvi

THE KNIFE MISSED Kaz's head by mere inches, scratching past his cheek as he stepped to the side just in time.

Randvi was angry, angrier than she'd ever been before. Kaz hadn't just made a cruel jibe at her, tripped her up in the street with his cane, or failed to tell her an important detail of his plan. He had betrayed her, abandoned her, and left her die. They had been a team, watching each others backs, but he had left her behind.

The hardest part was that Randvi had placed her blind trust in Kaz. She let herself rely on him, put her life into his hands, but he had closed his hand into a fist, letting her fall to the ground in ruins. Kaz destroyed the world around him letting it crumble and fall into ruins, Randvi had let herself believe that Kaz would always stop her from falling with it.

She had been wrong. So wrong.

"You left me to die!" Randvi shouted at Kaz. "You planned on abandoning me in East Ravka with a man you knew wanted me dead!"

"I had a plan-"

"Oh yes. Clearly." Randvi barked out a bitter laugh, picking a glass bottle from besides her and hauling to towards Kaz. "You never had a plan, you don't even have a plan now! I have been through hell because of you." Her voice trembled as she spoke. "Because you were too cowardly to come and find me."

"I always knew you'd get out." Kaz snarled, taking a step closer to Randvi. She wished she hadn't thrown the knife moments ago, now Kaz was closer, she could have stabbed him through the heart. She would not have missed. "You always do."

"Lie to me again and I will shove Inej's knife so far down your throat you'll be shitting iron."

"I'd like to see you try."

Just as Randvi made to lunge at Kaz, she felt Mal catch her body, pulling her back. All she could think about was Kaz, and how she wanted to punch him, kick him, stab him, cut off his fingers one by one and feed them to the volcra just so he could see just how angry she was. She wanted to prove she was better than him, that he had underestimated her.

And then a thought entered her mind, unwelcome and terrifying.

I want to kiss you.

The thought disgusted her, terrified her, and for a moment she felt as though the ground would swallow her whole. Kaz Brekker, Dirtyhands, Bastard of the Barrel, the boy that hadn't batted an eyelid at the thought of leaving her with a murder, the boy that betrayed her, was beginning to make Randvi question her own heart.

She hated him. She hated him so much, and yet she wanted to wrap her arms around him, hold his body close to hers, and feel the comfort he brought her. She wanted to forgive him, let herself believe he would have never abandoned her.