!chapter 1!

***

Seraphine had no idea where she was from.

She just knew nobody liked her here, that's all she knew for sure. She was a mix of her mother and father, two that she didn't remember but had heard stories about. Her mother's darkened skin and brown eyes had been passed down to her along with her fathers reddish brown hair and freckles the cover over the slope of her nose.

She knew she was different. And nobody liked different.

People feared different.

Seraphine didn't remember her parents. Only hearing stories of them and what happened to them. But after the years as the different tellings of what happened to them, she couldn't remember the original story anymore.

The only people she knew that were connected to her parents were Mrs and Madam Decóva, a 60 year old married couple that took her in as soon as they found out what happened to her parents.

Mrs. Decóva was a kind old lady that was the motherly figure in Seraphine's life. Where as Madam Decóva was more of a tough love kind of woman. She severed in the second army till she retired, after meeting Mrs. Decóva.

They use to live in Ketterdam until they found a way to cross the horrid Fold that stood in their way. The three of them found a nice cottage that was quite sizable for only the three of them but it worked.

Seraphine was alone, an only child, until she was twelve.

Mrs. Decóva showed up in the middle of the night with a small dark skinned girl, probably from Zemeni, shivering down covered in bruises. That would be Fern Gwendolyn. The young girl was the same age as her, maybe younger. Her hair was formed into many different braids, dark brown braids but her eyebrows were naturally blonde instead.

She was interesting. And Seraphine loved interesting.

Over the years, the house that was once only home to four people was now home to seven, including the Decóva women. When Seraphine and Fern were 15 years old, Madam had found Carna on the streets. Where Fern came from an abusive family, she was completely homeless and was begging on the streets when she found her.

Carna had pale blonde hair, large doe like eyes with bags under them and sunken cheeks from lack of sustenance. It was surprising that Madam would have brought someone in for them to adopt as Mrs Decóva was the more motherly of the two but she had.

The two young girls were happy to have someone around their age to talk to and play with, even thought Carna was a few years younger then them. All they really needed was each other.

Then came Zinnia when they were about 16, a small Shu girl who was about to be arrested for stealing a piece of bread who someone else if Mrs. Decóva hadn't stepped in and said that she was her child. She had long black hair that went pass her shoulders, peach skin that had tanned from being in the sun for so long and dark eyes that you couldn't see when she smiled.

She was the quietest out of all of them, which Madam seemed to enjoy. In a house of teenage girls, quiet was hard to find but not uncommon.

And lastly, Tasmin. She was almost the oldest, rivaling Seraphine's age of 19 at 18 with Fern. She was Suli with dark hair that fell to her waist and a small marking on the inside of her wrist, the mark of a traded.

They had all been tested for to see if they were Grisha except Seraphine. She had been in a street fight with a cut in her side and a bruise forming on the sides of her neck from someone trying to choke her out. Nobody could tell if she had done it on purpose but the Grisha who came to test them didn't care.