!chapter 7!

***

"Sera! Sera! Come in now! We want you to meet someone!"

The 12 year old girls head popped up from the grass she had been laying in, not caring about any bugs or creatures that could be touching her as she knew there were worse things that could hurt her.

She knew things about life that other kids didn't.

That's how she climbed up on the roof and stood at the edge, how she could jump off things and not worry about herself and how she was able to lay in the grass and not care about the bugs that would crawl on her like other kids would.

Her eyes looked at the house before she stood up, bending down and grabbing her shoes that she had taken off to feel the grass between her toes. Pushing her large in curls hair away from her face, she started the truck back to the two story house.

Once she was there, she pushed through the back door, into the kitchen and called for at least one of the women raising her. She wasn't adopted but she also wasn't their biological daughter so they settled on calling her their foster daughter.

"Living room, dearie!" Mrs. Decóva called for her.

She walked through the winding hallways till she reached the living room, stopping in the doorway when she saw the unknown person sitting in front of Mrs. Decóva and Madam, a blanket wrapped around her shaking shoulders and a cup of hot tea in her hands to warm her up.

"There you are! Come in, come in." She stepped in when she was waved in by the larger woman. Seraphine was already intrigued by the girl.

She couldn't have been much younger than herself, maybe eleven or ten but her skinny arms and body made it hard to tell. Her hair was dark and formed into twisting braids, skin just a bit paler than that. Her eyes were large, colored brown part bigger than Seraphine's were but what was interesting about her was her eyebrows. They were blonde.

Seraphine stepped forward and held out her hand to the other girl, who had stood up and was shivering on two legs.

"I'm Seraphine."

The smaller girl looked at Seraphine's hand before shaking it gently and in a quiet voice said, "Fern.."

Because of their close proximity, the curly haired girl could see the multiple purple and blue bruises that were forming on her face. One on her left cheek, some others on the sides of her next and a few others Seraphine was sure were hidden underneath the girls scrappy clothes.

Her soft fingers reached out and gently traced over the bruise on her cheek and asked, "What happened to your face?"

Madam pulled her back calmly but she didn't want her to scare off or make Fern uncomfortable here already. "No, Sera. She can tell you if she wants, she doesn't need to."

"Sorry, Fern.." Her head was slightly hung in shame because she didn't want to scare off her new friend or have her hurt in any way.

"It's fine...my uncle did this to me. He hurts me and-and-and touches me wrongly so I ran away. Please don't make me go back." Her dark eyes started to fill with tears before she started to cry, "Please don't make me go back."

Seraphine stepped forward slowly before holding both her arms out to her, asking her slightly for permission. Once she nodded, the older girl walked forward and hugged her, feeling her skinny arms wrap around her waist and bury her nose in her neck.

"Nobody will ever hurt you again. I promise."

***

Seraphine shot up with a gasp, holding onto her chest and burying her sharp nails into her night gown.