!chapter 3!

***
t/w: execution

Hours.

It had only taken them hours to set up the execution.

Fern would be killed.

For a crime she didn't even commit.

Mrs. Decóva and Madam Decóva had been told about the execution, along with almost everyone in their little town. Everyone would most likely be there for the death of her best friend. Seraphine hadn't said anything since Fern was taken, her face completely blank and void of emotion every time anyone saw her.

Zinnia and Carna tried to make her feel better but they were feeling terrible as well. Fern had always been the person they could go to if they had a problem, emotionally or physically. Where Seraphine was like the cool older sister that would protect everyone till the day she died, Fern would talk with them and be like the mediator between everyone. And now she was gone.

Mrs. Decóva refused to hear anything about the three younger girls coming to the execution. They knew that there was no arguing with Seraphine about her going. She wanted to see her best friend go.

There was nothing she could do to stop it anyway.

***

Everyone was there. Once they had entered the arena like area, they were corralled off to the side walls with fences that kept them all from trying to help her. Not that they could. She would be standing on a wall 25 feet up to be hung in front of everyone.

The thought of it was replaying over and over in Seraphine's head.

She stood between Mrs. Decóva and Madam as her body shook. Everything was crowded so the ones in the front, like them, were pushed up against the wooden fences in front of them. Everybody around them was pushing against them, trying to get the best view of an innocent girl dying.

The sick bastards.

Seraphine eyes filled with tears as she watched Fern's body appear all the way up in there, a guard holding onto her arm with her hands tied behind her back and her ankles tied just enough so she could walk.

Once Fern stood in the middle way of the wall, a guard with a booming voice said, "Fern Gwendolyn, you have been charged with the murder of Jameston Gram. How do you pled?"

The younger woman paused as if she didn't know the answer while the words was screaming in Seraphine's mind at her.

Not guilty.

"Guilty."

Her family's jaws dropped. Why would she say that?! She hadn't murdered him, yet she says she guilty. The tears in Seraphine's eyes rolled down her cheeks as she closed her eyes to the realization that she was really going to lose her best friend.

Part of her wanted to believe that Fern had claimed guilty because she knew they were going to kill her anyway so she might as well had gone along with it. But that part of her was shoved down till it reached her toes.

She could feel something start to build up in inside her, something small but ever growing.

Something burning inside her to escape.

The lanky woman pushed it down as the priest started to read her her rights. Seraphine bit down on her bottom lip, so hard that blood starting to drip down her lip. She couldn't let her die today. She wouldn't let her die today.

One of the guards standing next to Fern, grabbed the noose from behind her and wrapped it around her neck so the knot was against the back her left ear. A sandbag was filled and connected to the other side of the rope, once the floor beneath her fall through, the sandbag would go up when she fell down, killing her.

The burning Seraphine felt was starting to build up, like it was from the anticipation, and so she did something she wasn't entirely sure she had actually thought about. Everything inside her was yelling at her to do something.

The messy haired woman pushed against everyone around her and climb over the bench as quickly as she could. Both Mrs. and Madam Decóva yelled for her come to back.

It was starting to rise and her hands were starting to feel a burn like the rest of her body.

She started to run towards the wall Fern was standing on above her but two guards pulled her back, one on either arm as she was in line with the girl on death row.

Something inside her was screaming to be let out.

Her eyebrows pulled together in utter despair and pain as she tried to fight them off but they held a tight grip on her, like they were forcing her to watch the execution.

Seraphine's head was starting to pound, bright light filling her head as she shut her eyes painfully.

"Stop it, stop it, stop it, stop, stop," She repeated over and over in a whisper, her head hanging down, voice becoming different and almost entangled with someone else's as it became louder. Static started to fill her ears as the burning fell seemed to be bursting out of her any second. She opened her eyes barely to see orange and golden veins or cracks in her skin starting to grow.

"May The Phoenix have mercy upon your soul."

Just as the priest said that, something broke inside Seraphine.

She screamed bloody murder as sunset colored energy burst around her, throwing the guards that once held her back off to the sides as her body felt on fire. Her arms were thrown out to her sides immediately and her feet lifted off the ground.

Everyone's gasp and screams as they were pushed back by the force of what was happening were covered by her own as she felt all the pain and suffering as she never felt but enhanced. Tears rolled down her cheeks as on lookers saw what was happening while others ran.

The energy bursting from her body was formed into something, the shape of something.

A bird.

The Phoenix had been reincarnated.

***