!chapter 9!

***

"No army uniform includes a veil." Alina said as the three of them walked down one of the narrower halls she had seen here so far.

"You look fine."

"Say one wanted to leave the Little Palace.." Seraphine trailed off towards the end, her question apparent.

"But everything you have is here."

"I want to explain to my mothers why I had to leave. I could just go back and tell them."

"Don't be ridiculous. This way."

Silence faded between them for a few moments before,

"Pffht. Pffht. Pffht."

Was the sound of Alina blowing on the gold and white lace veil Genya had put on her. Seraphine was watching in amusement at this, walking beside the younger girl, her head turned to watch as she started to drift off in her walking.

Alina was wearing some kind of green uniform that she assumed was for the Second Army, clearly new as there were no cuts, no speckles of dirt or anything to soft that it had been worn before. In all honesty, Seraphine would have preferred to wear that then the dress she was put into.

"Stop that!" Genya whisper yelled at her, looking back, "No one can see either one of you until King Pyotr does."

Alina stopped, lifting up her veil to see herself in the mirror on the wall. Seraphine did too, barely recognizing herself. Her hair was still curly just a little bit more tame than before and a little bit more brown than red now, no stray away hairs now.

"It's just as well. This outfit is ridiculous." The younger woman complained, letting the fabric fall back over her face.

"At least its more comfortable than mine."

Genya reached with both her hands to grab one of their wrists in each, pulling them along a little for motivation. "Sadly, this is how the King sees the First Army. He cares little for mud, blood or sacrifice."

"Shouldn't we be in kefta's or something?"

"Oh, no. The King excepts Alina to see a humble girl plucked from the ranks of his army," The redhead spoke to the half Shu girl before looking at Seraphine, "And you, he wants to see royalty, a goddess among men, hiding in the shadows before coming to light. He wants to take credit for you. Both of you. You'll get a kefta once he's witnessed your power.

One of her hands reached out to brush a stray loop of her hair that had tried to mess up her already barely there part down the middle of hair.

"Right...my power." Seraphine whisper in respond mostly under her breath. This was going to go disastrously wrong.

The last time she tried to use her power around a lot of people, someone got hurt. Some of the crowd at the execution and the guards that had been holding her back and then layer that same day with all of the Grisha, except for General Kirigan, thrown back by it. What if she hurt the King? They would have her head and mount it on the wall.

"By all accounts, it'll be King Pyotr, The Queen, Crown Prince Vasily, and the King's spiritual adviser, the Apparat. He's this greasy rat-"