!chapter 11!

***

Later, she had returned to her room, Seraphine didn't do anything. She just sat on the end of the bed, her feet over the backstop of her bed. Her hands were wrapped together in her lap as the woman stared off into space.

She didn't know what to do with herself.

It was still a few hours till dinner and she didn't know what to do with that time. It wasn't like she could just walk around aimlessly since she didn't even know if she was allowed to left the palace.

And honestly, even after what happened, Seraphine missed Fern. She missed her friend so much here. Yeah, she was making other friends like Alina, Genya and Zara but Fern was her childhood best friend. They grew up together, did everything together. Fern was there when she couldn't sleep at night and just needed someone to remind her at she was alive.

What was she supposed to do, write to her? It was clear to her that Fern didn't want to see her anymore when she let the Grisha take her away.

Maybe she could write...not send them or anything but get the feeling out there.

Seraphine's head perked up slightly when she heard someone knock on the door. Standing up and walking over, she opened it to see Alina standing in front of her, wearing her blue kefta like earlier.

"Hi. I just wanted to say thank you for what you did earlier with Zoya. I appreciate it."

"Anytime."

"Do you, maybe, want to come to the library with me? I don't want to go alone." Alina asked nervously.

The curly haired woman, only gave her a nod and a small smile before holding out her arm to take. The Sun Summoner smiled brightly at her as she wrapped her arm around hers and started to lead her in the direction of the library they passed awhile ago.

***

Their foot steps echoed throughout the empty room filled with books. Bookshelves that reached all the way to the ceiling with smaller ones tables tops on them.

The both of them seemed marveled at the amount of knowledge that was in here. Seraphine herself wasn't an avid reader but Fern was and she would read her poems or any book they had in the house to her at night.

She watched a little further behind her as she watched Alina's finger stroke the spines of the books, pulling out one at a time just enough to see the title. The younger girl smiled when she saw a certain one and pulled it out all the way before saying quietly, "I know you."

She opened the book, flipping through the pages while Seraphine's whole body pricked slightly, now on edge from the feeling that they weren't alone.

"The bone road ebbs and the bone road flows." Alina read out loud from the text.

"You two like books?"

Both women gasped, Alina turned around quickly while Seraphine grabbed the intruders shoulder with one hand and the other pressed the knife she had, that she had kept hidden up her sleeve in case something happened, to his neck. It was the Apparat, who didn't seem the least but concerned about the threat against his neck.

"You are well-read, aren't you? Educated?" He asked. Seraphine slowly moved the weapon away from his throat and slid it back into her sleeve when she realized he wasn't a threat.