!chapter 5!

***

The man dressed in black soon left in a carriage with some of his men while Seraphine was there with the rest...or was it a horse? Her mind was still trying to process everything she just learned to pay attention to his mot of transportation.

She had had no word about what was happening with Fern, if the man had even taken her seriously. She didn't know him, or about him enough to just trust his word that her friend would be spared. Seraphine, despite the burning in her skin seeming to calm down slightly, she still felt like she was going to last out.

To guards, or at least two Grisha as she couldn't tell the difference at the moment, held her arms and started leaning her towards a carriage. She kept trying to turn her head, to look behind her as she was taken out of the "execution area." All her life living here and she still didn't know what it was called exactly.

The hands gripping her arms seemed to get tighter as they got closer to the carriage.

But then she heard a whistle that couldn't have been that far away if she had heard it over everything around her. The same sound that she had been hearing since she was a child.

Fern.

When Seraphine and Fern were younger, they invented a system to make sure the other was okay. A certain whistle pattern that only the two of them knew, just in case they got separated and needed to find each other.

Fern was alive.

That was the only thing running through her mind. And how to get to her. If she was never going to see her again, she needed to say goodbye after everything that's happened to them.

Seraphine felt her skin start to burn and the edges of her skin started to form the glowing veins. The energy that built inside of her after what happened not to long ago, twice in the same day. A large blast surrounded her and pushed everything away, including the guards holding onto her and caused the carriage to swing.

She sprinted towards her.

Her body loved as fast as it could, and it was fast, following the direction that she thought the whistle had come from. Seraphine rounded the corner to see Fern walking out of the...execution place with Mrs. and Madam Decóva behind her.

No noose around her neck.

No cuffs around her wrists.

No trapdoor waiting to fall from under her.

She was okay.

Once Seraphine was close enough, she launched herself at Fern, grabbing her and pulling her as close to her as she could, repeating in her head that she was here and okay. She's safe.

Ferns body was pressed against hers, the smaller woman was able to feel Seraphine's beating heart just above hers. The feeling making her cheek warm up and forced her to sallow the bile in her throat after what she just was told.

Seraphine pulled back, grabbing Fern's face to check her over for bruises or scratches that may have happened during the time they were apart. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you? I don't wanna go! I can't go! I can't leave you! I won't-"