Pookie

Pookie

"I don't get it!" Beta shouted from the other room. Painfully I opened my eyes. My back hurt like it had in my accident, but there was something really wrong. In front of me was an arm, covered in a black sleeve, fingers poking through the end. I stared at it for the longest time, I have an arm? 

Curiously I wiggled my fingers and sure enough they moved. I sat up and swung my legs over the side of the bed. When did I get here? Toes poked it from under pants that were a few sizes too big.  

The toes and feet moved how I commanded them too, tentivly I touched my face, snout and fangs were gone. My jaw dropped. For the first time in ten years I was human.  

"Are you alright?" a voice broke through my thoughts. I looked up at the human forms of Alpha and Beta.  

"Human!" I snapped. My voice came out childish. But then again I had been a wolf since I was six, and never really grew up.  

"Yes sweetie you're human."Alpha said kneeling down beside the bed. "Can you tell us your name?" he asked slowly.  

"Umm..." When was the last time someone called my name? "Pookie!" I said happily.  

"Pookie?" Alpha and Beta repeated looking at each other.  

"Pook, Pook!"I said poking them. "Pook!"  

Beta laughed at my childishness. He kneeled beside me a big grin on his face that I mimicked. "Hi Pookie I'm..." 

"Beta!" I interrupted, poking him in the chest, I did the same to Alpha. "Alpha!" they laughed again and settled into the room.  

"Do you think she can walk?" Beta asked Alpha. He shook his head and stared at me.  

"I did t even know she was a shifter."  

"Shifter!" I said loudly from my seat. "Shifter shifter!"  

"Pookie, what are your parents names?" Alpha asked me.  

"Mommy and daddy?" I cocked my head to the side, like it was a obvious answer.  

"Do you live around here Pookie?" Beta asked. I nodded my head and pointed out the window.  

"Shack!"  

"When's your birthday?" he asked.  

"Umm... May..." I held my fingers up to make seven, then counted them to make sure I got it right. "Seventh." 

"Okay, so what pack do you belong to?" Alpha asked.  

I stared at him blankly. "Daddy's pack?" again it was like saying the obvious.  

"Do you know anything that can help us find out who you are?" Beta asked leaning forwards. "Names, places. Any one important you can think of?"  

"Uncle Dirt!" 

"Who?" They asked together.  

"Uncle Dirt." 

"So what is his real name?" 

"Bert." They looked at each other, Beta's face paled. He stood up suddenly and left the room his steps thudding away. "Bad?" I asked touching my chest. Alpha shook his head and smiled sweetly. Though I could form complete thoughts in my mind, think critically and carefully when i tried to speak it came out much like a bark, a single word loud and defined.

"Don't worry about it Pookie." he said and left the room.  

Alone I decided that I wanted to see if I could walk on two legs. I stood wobbly like a new born deer, trying to keep my balance I took the first step across the floor. My foot hit loudly, the stomp putting me off balance, I started to tip to the side and was unable to pull my self back.  

I sucked in a breath, ready to let out a scream. I closed my eyes and put my arms in front of my face. But the floor never came. Arms were around my waist holding me steady. "Careful." Beta said holding my arms and stepping in front of me. He held me hands and kept my balance as I slowly walked from one side of the room to the other.  

"Walk!" I laughed, Beta had let one of my hands go and walked beside me as we moved around the room. "Beta I walk!" I said like he hadn't heard me the first time.  

"Yes you can." he said smiling. I kept grinning and walking back and forth, concentrating on the movement of my feet. I didn't wobble any more! 

I looked beside me were Beta should have been. Shock filled me when I saw him standing at the door smiling at me. I was in the center of the room alone. "You can do it." Beta said urging me on. Nervously I nodded and kept walking, trying to not think about him all the way on the other side of the room. When I reached the wall I dropped both hands on it, turned back and smiled to Beta. He clapped for me and started across the floor, his steps were fluid and smooth. I was jealous of his ability to walk so well. "Good job Pookie." he said smiling. My smile widened under his praise. 

Just then my stomach let out a ferocious growl. Patting both my hands on it, like that would stop the sound. "Hungry." I pouted looking up at Beta. He chuckled and quickly scooped me up over his shoulder. I squealed and started giggling.  

"Then we should get you something to eat!" his voice boomed as he left the room and walked down the hall to a small kitchen.  

Alpha was seated at the table, a news paper and cup of coffee in his hands. "Morning Pookie!" he called lifting his cup and acting like this was a normal morning for him. Like I had always lived here. I giggled at the thought and started poking Beta's back.  

"Go poke him!" Beta whined dropping me to the floor. I walked over to Alpha and poked him in the arm.  

"Pook!" I said giggling. Alpha looked up at me slyly and grinned with his cup at his lips. "Watch!" I demanded and turned. Happily I walked between the table and counter and back to Alpha. "I walk!"  

"That you can!" he said putting his paper and cup down.