Wolf of Mass Destruction

The days were long and grueling. A never ending cycle of juggling school, these new emotions with Greg and the battle training. Uncle Bert feels like I need to be invincible to the coming events, that I don’t even know about, and everyone is strangely quiet. Beta barely talks to me anymore. Tess still seems upset that I forgot to tell her that I got moved to different classes, and Alpha is constantly on the phone or out.

I feel sort of forgotten again. The only time someone really seems to be talking to me is when I’m with Greg or when Uncle Bert is training me. But then it’s not really talking is it? It’s more of “Do this!” or “Try it again you’ll get it!”

What if I don’t want to get it? I never wanted to fight in the first place, and yes I want to get back at Orion for killing my family but I don’t want to willingly go and fight him! That just seems too crazy. But they all are ready for this and I have to go along with no matter what. Today I pulled myself out of my bed and stared out the window as the sun slowly turned orange in the sky. The dawn was beautiful beyond belief, and in a few hours everyone else will be getting up to get ready for their day. Tess would make sure I was ready for school and Alpha will once again be talking into the phone, hiding in his office. Beta will make some breakfast and disappear for a while.

Uncle Bert will quiz me on battle tactics as I walk out the door. All I really wanted to do was see Greg and talk to him. He listens to what I say, no matter how long I rant or get emotional. Tess has informed me that I’ve now entered a ‘full blown crush’ for him. Yay?

For now I have a little bit of time to myself. I can get out and run around before anybody gets up and have a little me time again. Things were a whole lot easier if none of this ever happened. I should have just stayed in the forest. Never gotten curious about the shifters entering the woods, never tried to fight a wolf three times my size. If I had stayed a runt, stayed a wild none of this would have happened and I would be living peacefully and content. Nothing was ever confusing or complicated, there was never all this attention on me.

I shifted and jumped out the window, heading straight for the thickest part of the forest. The earthy healthy scent of the forest welcomed me back into its shadows. There was low chirps from tree top birds and every now and then I picked up the sound of deer hooves racing along the river. Summer had hit and more animals were going to be coming out from hiding. The forest will be alive again. I wish I could be a part of it this year.

When I reached the very center of the forest where I spent most of my time hiding. There was a small den made form some roots and a fallen tree. I had to hallow it out when I found it, it was cozy when I was smaller. Since my shifts I’ve grown bigger. I was just a bit smaller than Tess now, not near the size of Alpha or Beta, but still bigger than your average wolf. Just by looking you can tell that I’m a shifter. Stretching I examined the small clearing. It had been my home for ten years.

I sat down in the center and looked around. Nothing has changed. The breeze still carried the warmth of the sun and the scent of loamy soil and sprouting trees. After some peaceful minutes I raced back and jumped into my window.

As I gently hit the floor there was a knock on my door. “Layla get up. It’s time to get ready for school.” Tess called. Her steps headed away from my door and her voice carried to the kitchen when she started talking to Beta. I grabbed some clothes and headed for the shower. I washed away the smell from my run with Tess’s fruity body wash and threw on my clothes.