Ancient Pants

here she is

+++++++

Ancient Pants

Layla's POV

I'M OLD!!!!!!

Well that's basically what it sounded like anyway... I'm some sort of special wolf being that can do things other wolves can't. Why did they have to name them Ancients? I don't want to be old!

Everyone was sitting around the table watching me intently waiting for some reaction. What kind of reaction are they looking for they just straight out told me I was ancient! "I'm old." I whispered, trying to not look at them.

Beta's body went rigid, I turned around to see his red face lips tightly closed. "Just let it out John." Alpha said from the other end of the table, sighing. I looked between them not really sure that Beta needed to let out.

He smiled at me and started laughing.

Big bellowing laugh, his big arms held me around my waist and his forehead rested on my shoulder as he chuckled, slowly petering out of his amusement. Alpha and Tess sat with wide amused smiles on their faces. "What?" I asked. Beta sighed back the last of his laughter and leaned away from me.

"Just because your title is Ancient, doesn't mean you're old. People call them Ancients because when they first were around the seemed as normal and common as the normal wolves, but after a while it seemed like they died out because they didn't have the ability to change humans into wolves but the other wolves could. So for some hundred years there was a spike in wolf populations. So we call them Ancients because they're not very common, and they have magic that they like to hide. From what I have heard anyway."

I stared at him blankly. "Can I have a different title then?" I asked softly. He grinned wide, and gave me a hug.

"Kid you can call yourself what ever you want." I grinned.

"Ancient Pants." I said grinning. Everyone laughed. The atmosphere changed a lot from what happened in the cabin last night. They sun was slowly coming over the horizon, sending bright rays of light through the kitchen window. The trees did little to stop the summer light from getting into the house. I smiled at it glad that I could see it again.

For a while I'd been wondering what it would be like if you couldn't see the sun rise in the morning. Every time I looked at it it had made me sick to my stomach, throbbing nauseating pain moved through my back and irritated every part of me. But now there was no pain, or the slightest bit of agonizing pain that had always bothered me, I still had the scar but it didn't bother me. "If wolves are bound to the moon then how can wolves shift during the day?" I asked watching the small pieces of dust swirl around my face.

"The sun and moon are sisters, for the moon to shine she needs her sister. So not only are we bound to the moon but to the sun as well, but because the sun is so much stronger than the moon we can shift anytime during the day, even during a solar eclipse, or cast over. The light of the sun still touches the earth." Alpha said watching the sun come up, his gaze locked on the light but I could tell his mind was miles away form here. "You guys going to sleep today, or do you want to go out?" he asked turning back to us.

I shrugged, not feeling the least bit exhausted, Tess sat with a cup of coffee sipping it tenderly. Heat swirled above the cup sending roasted coffee smell across the room. "Alright, we'll go out today." Alpha said a sad smile on his face. He got up and started digging through the fridge. Beta took that as a sign to get up and start making breakfast.

I sat waiting watching Tess for any hint about what Alpha wanted to do today. She gulped the last of her coffee and got up. "I'll be back in ten!" She called and headed to her room. Not moving I watched her emerge, dressed differently, and head out the door.