Sudden Understanding

Alpha's POV

"From what you've told me this is what I can determine." The doctor said, posting up an x-ray of Pookie's back. "When she was hit with the bullet hit this disk," he pointed to a piece of her spine and mumbled out something about c6's and c something's. The whole medical jargon was beyond me. "It shifted out of place, and to shift would have completely dislodged it, breaking her spinal chord here." He pointed to another highlighted spot that he then circled with a red marker. "So the movement of hitting the tree, and the arch of her back twisted the disk back into place. Out of energy her body shifted back involuntarily."

"So she can shift normally now?" I asked, though nothing of what he said made much sense.

"Theoretically yes." He must have noticed the blank looks we were giving him. "Her back is straight and normal now, where before it was crooked, dislocated. A shift would have broken her back and killed her."

"OH!" I said, suddenly getting it. Beta, John, nodded his head beside me. He had Pookie hanging around his neck; she fell asleep about ten minutes ago. It looked slightly ridiculous, but since she was physically small anyway she only looked like a ten year old I don't think it really mattered. "So if she shifts tonight it shouldn't kill her?" I asked drawing my attention back to the doctor.

He wasn't part of my pack, but he was the only doctor in the area that was a shifter. He refused to join packs, said it drew in the Hunters. "With the evidence I'm seeing here, it should be all right, but I would give it a few weeks to get stronger. The tissues here," again he pointed to something. "Will be weakened. So you should give her some time."

"Alright, thanks doc." Beta and I said together. He nodded and slipped the x-ray into a folder and handed it to us. With a nod he left the room. "Pookie." I whispered gently shaking her shoulder. Her eyes half opened and surveyed the room quickly.

"Da...ddy?" she whispered before falling asleep again. Something in my heart broke, after hearing her story last night it's brought back painful memories.

I knew her father, Jebahdia Blake as a good friend of mine. I knew some of his sons, the older ones but I had only met them once when they were quite small. It had been my pack that found what was left of his family, but I never knew of his daughter's existence until the news.

Beta finished waking her and we headed out.

The words from the paper still ran through my head. I had it memorized.

"Whole Family Slaughtered

The Blake family's remains were found late Sunday afternoon by a neighbor. The parents and seven of the eight children were found dead in the woods by Sun river. Police have no leads as to who the murder is, but do know that it was no task done alone. The bodies of the family were found in a row and burnt from the center out. Two of the siblings, assumed to be John Blake and Jake Blake were burned beyond recognition. Police are doing their very best to find who ever was responsible for destroying one of the most peaceful families in the Creek Sun area.

Blake's were known for their hospitality to travelers and donations to almost every charity around town. "It's sad to see such an innocent and peaceful family taken out like this." Close friends mourned over their friends. Scarier yet the Blake's youngest, their six year old daughter, Layla Blake's body was never found. Officers have checked the river, and are still searching the forest, but hope for the young girl seems lost. The only living family of the Blake's is Jebahdia's brother Bert Blake. "I can't think of anyone who would hurt Jeb and his family, they loved everyone!" were his words when interviewers spoke to him.

The search still continues for six year old Layla, but officers are discouraged. Blood was found in the woods that was a DNA match to the family. It was found close to a bullet that was lodged into a tree a few feet away containing more blood and tissue. It is assumed that the whole family has been slain for some unknown reason."

The words were harsh, but not compared to the state I found the bodies. Mike and her father were both still in wolf form when I got there, their hearts had long stopped beating. The smell of wolf and human blood filled the air, along with the smell of silver. I knew instantly that it was the Hunters who had done this, but I still don't know why.

I moved the bodies, and made the dead bodies of Jeb and Mike shift back. All you have to do is be in contact with them and they will shift when I shift. I moved the bodies together beside the burnt corpses of John and Jake. As far as I knew Jake was one of the younger sons, whom I hadn't met. The hunters had long left, leaving their massacre for the birds to find. It wasn't until three days later did the news come out, and that something dawned on me.

Jeb's territory.

It had been left through each of his children, and of course they were all gone. Bert didn't want to defend a territory so he was kept out of the will, that left one other person to take over. Me.

Jeb had been my friend and we worked our packs equally. We never fought over land, or size. It was a common knowledge that we would control each others if the other couldn't. To be honest I never wanted control of Jeb's territory. He was an older Alpha, stronger, bigger. I was happy just to be an ally of his. And for him to suddenly be taken down? Ever since I had been making sure that I could be the best Alpha I could, working harder to become stronger and bigger so that I could live up to his name and the Blake family. At least now I can protect the last of them.

"Layla." I breathed her name and Beta were a few steps a head of me talking brightly. He seemed to really like her. She didn't seem to hear me either, I wonder if she ever would remember her name.

"Alpha Look!" She called pointing into one of the shop windows. Stepping up beside them she was looking into a clothing store. She pointed at the mannequin dressed up in a summer outfit. She had been wearing my old clothes, even now. I looked down at her, her eyes were bright with lust. She wanted those clothes.

"She can't keep wearing your clothes." Beta insisted. It seems she already won him over.

"Alright. Lets go in." I said. She squealed happily and ran into the store. I pulled out my phone and started punching in some numbers. Against my ear it rang three times before someone answered.

"Hello?" Tess answered. In the phone, but I also picked up her voice in the store.

"Tess?" I said looking around. She spun from a group of girls standing at one of the tables full of clothes. Her face paled and between two of her fingers was one of my credit cards. I closed my phone and waved her over with a flick of my wrist. She slouched and walked as slowly as she could. "Tess!" I growled. She picked up her feet and walked swiftly to me. I held my hand out for the card. She dropped it in my palm, I pulled out my wallet and returned it and took out a different one.

"I was going to pay you back I swear!" She said quickly. I chuckle and pulled out a different card.

"If you wanted to borrow money then why didn't you just ask?"

"Oh." She whispered. Tess had been picking up some bad habits from her human friends.

"Here," I said holding out a different card. "You took the wrong one anyway. Pookie needs some new clothes. Take her shopping for a bit and get some stuff for her." I pointed to where Beta and Pookie stood. Beta had the most confused look on his face as he looked at the different pants.

Tess laughed at him and took the card. "Sure thing dad. Can I get some stuff too?" she asked. I eyed her suspiciously.

"Under $100.00" I said. She nodded and went back to her friends calling Pookie over. "Beta, lets go, Tess can handle this one." Relief flooded his face. Pookie joined Tess and we slipped out the glass door of the store.

"What's a zero?" he asked me. I shrugged and shook my head.

"The girls will help her." I insisted, I never paid much attention to sizes and clothing. Hell! Most of my wardrobe consisted of sweats and baggy t-shirts.

We wondered down the street before turning to into a dark ally and stepping into a closed gun store.