Bite of a Werewolf

Bite of a Werewolf

It had been a tense few days after I bit Josh, but I was repeatedly informed that there was no possible way, in any possible way, that he would change. No one would tell me why, but I still felt a little bad about it. I didn't want to be the reason for him to suddenly shift, and if he died I was on grounds for execution. Changing a human without their knowledge, or permission is forbidden by both Hunter's and wolves. Alpha knew that I did it as a response but he said that the Hunters would refuse to believe anything said by the wolves (on going feud I'm told)

Through most of the tension I found an escape in the forest. Things all seemed so much easier there. The trees don't judge you, or try to hurt you, the mountains are calm and listen well. If you asked me how I survived in the woods for so long I would tell you to run to the middle of the woods and just sit there.

I had gotten an okay from Alpha to shift, which was good, if I knew how. Alpha, Beta and Tess all took me outside to practice. I listened intently to their instruction, what to feel when I want to shift. Of course wolves are generally more powerful, or at their strongest, at night under the full moon. But we were able to shift at any time we wanted. During the day if we aren't conscious the body will shift automatically, like a defense mechanism.

So we all stood in the shade of the trees and each of them spoke about shifting, what I should feel and what I should be thinking about. I closed my eyes and let the thoughts of running in wolf form fill my mind. I shook with anticipation. The feeling of four legs, strong senses, even the feel of the soft soil under paws.

A shiver rippled through my body and I dropped to my knees. When I opened my eyes I was staring at the faces of three other wolves.

'Welcome to the pack Layla." Alpha whispered, a proud wolf smile on his face. Tess jumped excitedly beside me and Beta kept a wide grin on his face, matching Alpha's look.

'thanks!'

'Why is she still so small?' Tess asked sniffing around me. The three of them were still about double my size.

'Her body needs time to get into rhythm, she can't just become human and be suddenly normal, it will probably take some time before she grows to your size.' Alpha responded.

I settled quickly into the form I was so used too, I was so comfortable now. 'Can I go running now?' I asked.

Alpha nodded. 'Take Beta with you.' He said. I nodded and started running, Beta right on my heels.

We ran side by side through the trees, I moved swiftly and easily around the small trees, while Beta ran through them. I didn't care if I got any bigger, I could move easily in this form, I was used to it. Size and all. 'There's a pack of deer close to here.' I slowed to a stop and sniffed the air.

'Really?' Beta asked slowing to a stop beside me. He lifted his nose and sniffed.

'Yeah, just north of us, past the river.' I said turning my head. I knew the forest so well, that pack of deer always travel through here, I easily recognized their scent. 'Can we go hunting?' I asked.