14 | forgotten special days

"That's it!" Sirius exclaimed as he joined the group at the table. "I have checked every single calendar in this stupid castle. I even asked McGonagall. It is definitely November 3rd." He looked around at everyone, "What are you playing at? Is this some kind of practical joke? Because it's not funny."

"It's not a joke, Black," Angela rolled her eyes.

"So then why the hell did you forget?"

"Has it ever occurred to you that none of us care?" she asked the boy.

He narrowed his eyes on the girl, "You, Ms. Potter, are a cruel, cruel human being and I hope the universe gets back at you for it."

"Is he always this dramatic?" America inquired with a snort.

"Yes," the group answered in unison.

"You care, don't you, Prongs?" Sirius asked his best friend.

"Of course I care, Padfoot," James replied. "I've just been rather preoccupied lately. It doesn't help that my sister has been running around and antagonizing the Death Eaters."

Angela glared at the boy, "This isn't about me."

"Moony?" Sirius asked hopefully.

"Er," he began as he glanced around the room. "Sorry, Pads. I have a lot of studying to do. I don't really have time for anything tonight. Maybe tomorrow."

"Tomorrow isn't my birthday!" Sirius exclaimed. "Today is!" He gestured to the group dramatically, "I'm 17! I can do magic outside of school! I'm basically an adult! This is a big deal!"

"Of course it is, Sirius," Angela replied. "But we can celebrate tomorrow."

"All of you will rue this day!" he shouted as he started to walk away. "Rue, I say!"

America pouted, "And suddenly he's not attractive anymore."

Angela rolled her eyes, "He'll get over it soon enough." She addressed the group, "Who's on babysitting duty?"

"Marlene is," Peter announced. "She said she had her part covered."

"No," Remus shook his head. "She's on drink duty. She's bringing the Firewhiskey and Butterbeer."

"I thought you were on drink duty."

"Why would I be on drink duty?"

"I don't know!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing?"

"I've got the music."

"Then who's babysitting?" Angela inquired.

James's eyes widened, "Oh, shit."

"What?" she asked. "Tell me you didn't forget to assign someone as babysitter." He remained silent, "James!"

"I'm sorry, okay?" he defended himself. "It was hard enough lying to him, it slipped my mind!"

"I have to do everything myself, don't I?" she huffed before standing up and gathering her things. "Don't screw anything else up," she ordered.

"Where are you going?"

"To babysit!"

"You have class!" James called after her.

"Not when you can't assign people jobs without screwing up!"

Angela made her way through the school with a huff. Of course things would be put into her hands and if anything went wrong, the blame would be on her.

Her nose wrinkled slightly at the prospect of all the blame being put on her. She would not be a scapegoat.

"Black!" Angela called when she caught sight of the boy sitting in a window sill. "What the hell are you doing here?"

He turned to look at her, waving his hand that held a bottle of Firewhiskey. "Wotcher, Ang. What are you doing here?"

"Trying to make sure you don't do exactly what you're doing," she explained. She reached for the bottle but he moved it out of reach.

He pointed his finger at her, "Don't you have class?"

"Seems I've forgotten along with everything else that's transpiring today."

"Transpiring?" he inquired. "That's...that's a big word."

"Is it?" she mused as she knocked his feet off the edge and took a seat next to him. "Sorry, I forgot your birthday."

"S'alright," he replied, taking another sip of his drink. "Not the first time."

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "I don't think I've ever forgotten your birthday before."

"Not you," he muttered. "My dear parents."

"Oh," she replied, at a loss for words.

"'Oh', indeed," he nodded, raising the bottle. "Lovely people, Walburga and Orion. Can't even remember the day their precious heir was born. They remember Regulus' birthday just fine though."

"Maybe you should lay off the Firewhiskey."

"Maybe you should lay off me."

"Sirius," she tried and he huffed.

"You go to class," he suggested, ruffling her hair much to her disliking. "I'll be here, drowning my sorrows and trying to forget the fact that my own family hates me."

Angela frowned at this. What she couldn't figure out was whether he meant his family or his family.

"Just stay here and don't drink too much?" Angela requested. "I'll be back soon enough."

Hopefully, she really would be back soon enough.