47 | emotional whiplash

"Look, Addie, I'm sorry," Regulus apologized as he followed the girl through the Great Hall and toward their table. "I didn't meant to, it wasn't-"

"I really don't want to hear it."

"You know this has been hard for me-"

"And it hasn't been hard for me either?"

"Oh, it's not the same. You weren't-"

"It is the same!" she exploded. "And yet I never said another person's name in bed!" Regulus lowered his head in shame as the Great Hall fell silent. Adhara's eyes widened, her jaw dropping in horror, "Oh, Salazar."

Regulus reluctantly looked up, his gaze fluttering across the room until they landed at the Gryffindor table. Where half the room was staring at the bickering couple, the other half was staring at Angela.

"Seems my brother's still got a lot to learn when it comes to girls," Sirius announced, no doubt at an attempt to ease the tension but ultimately only making it worse. "Too bad he's getting married and probably won't get the chance to learn."

James kicked his friend under the table and Sirius yelped. "What in the bloody hell was that for, Prongs?" The bespectacled boy nudged his head in his sister's direction where she sat, staring at her plate with her hands in her lap.

Sirius cleared his throat, "Hogsmeade weekend coming up, eh? Who's up for a trip to the good old Three Broomsticks?"

"I think I'm going to head back to the common room," Angela informed the boys as she stood up, gathering her belongings. "I'll see you lot at the Christmas party later."

"I'll come with you," James announced as he stood up as well. She was about to argue when he shot her a look, successfully shutting her up. The two made their way out of the Great Hall and James immediately started talking.

Angela was entirely sure what he was talking about. She knew he was just trying to fill the silence and occupy her so she couldn't think about things too hard. The two entered through the portrait and she took a seat..

"Remus and Sirius have been bickering for the past week," James huffed as he fell back on the couch in the deserted common room. "Sirius keeps denying it. Pretending I'm seeing things but-"

"I've been sleeping with him," Angela blurted out.

James's eyes widened at this, "You've been sleeping with Sirius?"

"What?" she asked in confusion. She turned to look at her brother, "No, of course not. I've been sleeping with Regulus."

"Oh," he said with relief before it seemed to register. "What?" he exclaimed. "Have you lost your mind? He has a fiancé!"

"Maybe?" she replied as she fell back on the bed. "I - I don't understand why I can't stay away. It's like...no matter how hard I try, I always go back to him." She turned to look at him, "How do I stop?"

"I don't know," he answered honestly. "It's a pretty unique situation and I'm really not understanding what you see in him given everything he believes. And on top of that he's about to be married. You can't keep seeing him, Angela. It's not just about you, it's about us too. The more you put yourself at risk, you put mom and dad at risk as well."

Angela sucked in a breath, "Oh, Merlin." She shook her head, "What have I done?"

James watched her for a moment, "Tell him at the party." She frowned slightly, "Ang, you can't keep seeing him. This is a war and you're putting everyone you love at risk."

"What about him?" she asked, resting her head in her hands. "If I end it, he has no one."

"He made his bed, Angela," James reminded her. "Now he gets to sleep in it."

Angela stood outside the door to Professor Slughorn's extended office and stared. She flattened out the front of her dress and contemplated turning away and just going to bed for the night. She had managed to convince the boys to go on without her and told them she'd join them later. But James knew she was stalling.

"It's quite a fascinating door, isn't it?" a voice spoke up and she jumped. She didn't have to turn to know who it was and he continued, "You didn't show up earlier so I assumed you'd be skipping out on this, too."

"I figured you had more pertinent things to deal with," Angela pointed out, clearly referring to what had happened earlier that morning.

Regulus cleared his throat uncomfortably, "Not sure there was much to hash out there, if I'm honest."

"I can't see you anymore," she blurted out and she could feel the air still around them.

He was silent for what felt like a lifetime, "What?"

"I think it's best if we stop this - whatever this is," she explained, not bothering to spare him a glance.

"Angel-"

"You aren't going to change my mind."

"But you said-"

"Forget what I said," she suggested. "And have a wonderful marriage, Regulus."