22 | quidditch cup

"Hey, Reggie?" Angela inquired as she played with his hand that she held in her own. He shifted slightly on the couch so he could look at her better.

"Is something wrong?"

She shook her head slightly, "No, it's just...If I win this game...Will you...I mean, will they..."

"Give me another black eye?" he asked and she nodded stiffly. "Hard to tell. But I don't want you to hold back because you're worried about that."

"If I hold back, James will kill me," she informed him. "I just don't want to be the reason you get hurt."

Regulus placed a kiss on her head, "It wouldn't be your fault. Slytherin's are just sore losers."

"I'm aware."

He tightened his hold around her for a brief moment before letting her go, "We should head out before we're late."

Angela huffed but sat up anyway, "See you on the field?"

He nodded as he grabbed his shirt off the ground and slipped it on, "On the field."

Minus Regulus's constant paranoia, things had been going surprisingly well. They had been whatever it was that they were for almost two months now and they were both happy despite how complicated things were for them.

They talked every night via the two way mirror and had continued their private sessions, extending them to two hours so that they could do the actual tutoring part and then just be them for a while. Occasionally they would sneak out at night so they had more time together.

Sometimes it felt like they were just grasping for more time together as though they were close to running out.

"Let's make this a quick game," James requested as he sat on his broom, floating next to his sister as she scammed the Quidditch pitch. "I have plans later and would rather not be late."

Angela shot him a look, "I'd probably be better if you'd back off."

"You love me."

She snorted, "I-" But her words died in her throat as she noticed something on the opposite side of the field.

Regulus looked from side to side to find that the beaters from his own team were closing in on him. He accelerated on his broom but he wasn't quick enough as they rammed into him from either side.

"James, call a timeout," Angela said quickly upon realizing - at least somewhat - what was happening.

"What?" he asked as he looked around in confusion, "Why would I do that? We're winning."

"Look," she said as she nodded toward where Regulus was being closed in on by the Carrow twins. "I don't know what's happening but it can't be good. And if Sirius-"

"What the hell are they doing to him?" Sirius demanded from behind the siblings. Angela glanced back but before she could say anything, Sirius took off in their direction.

She took off after him a moment later and James followed behind after signaling to Madam Hooch to call a timeout.

Angela managed to zoom past Sirius and Regulus caught her eye. He shook his head slightly and she faltered. She wanted to help him but she definitely didn't want to get him into trouble.

She halted, forcing Sirius and James to stop as well. "Why did you stop?" Sirius asked.

"Because we'll only make it worse." Sirius opened his mouth to argue but stopped.

"I called a timeout," James pointed out. "They have to stop."

"No, they don't," Angela breathed out as she followed the three with her eyes. Regulus was barely ahead and one of them reached forward, grabbing the end of his broom and pulled him toward them. "Sirius, go."

"What?"

She looked at him pleadingly, "Go after them, help him."

"Well, alright," he took off a moment later.

James stared at his sister in confusion, "Why don't you go with him?"

Angela sucked in a breath, "That would definitely make things worse."

He shook his head, "Ang, you didn't."

Angela looked at her brother, "Just shut up."

"Why didn't you say anything?" he asked. "You can trust me."

"You don't get to get up on me for keeping a relationship a secret," she informed him and the color drained from his face. "And this isn't about trust. It's life or death."

"Then why risk it at all?"

"Because he's worth it," she replied. She looked over at where Regulus was once again ahead of the twins. Sirius had caught up to them with ease, distracting the twins.

"Damn it," James muttered before he took off after Sirius.

"James!" Angela called out but he was already gone.

After a long struggle and the assistance of Madam Hooch, they managed to get the Carrow twins to back off of Regulus and they were removed from the game, escorted to the Headmaster's office.

Angela ran a hand through her hair as she took a seat for a moment. She waited for James and Sirius who were talking to Hooch.

Was this her fault? she couldn't help but think.

"It wasn't because of you," someone said and she jumped. She glanced over at the other team's bench to find Regulus sitting there. He had his sight off in the distance and she followed in suit, making it look as though neither of them were actually talking to the other. "They don't know about you - about us."

"Oh," she breathed out, slightly relieved. "What happened?"

She side-glanced at him and his eyebrows were slightly furrowed, "We'll talk later, alright?" His lip quirked up slightly, "Right now, I've got a game to win."

She scoffed, "In your dreams."